Chinese-Forums

Does a Z visa really take this long?.........

alwaysstriving

Hello, I have been offered a job in China.

My employer sent me what I have posted below as the steps and timeframe for getting a Z visa.

I am guessing that my employer is making the time period for each step as long as it could possibly take. It seems that they are playing it safe to make sure that we will definitely have enough time.

We have the time no no wories, but how long does EACH STEP actually take (from people's experience)?

Step 1: Apply for employment licence in Beijing (up to 15 working days)

Step 2: Apply for invitation letter using employment licence in Beijing (up to 5 working days)

Step 3: Via courier sent invitation letter and employment licence to me (up to 5 working days)

Step 4: Apply at my consulate for Z visa (usually 4 working days)

Is each step REALLY that long?

Interesting that you think it is

REALLY that long?

If they run concurrently the longest wait is 15 days, doesn't seem that long to me.

If you have plenty of time then it will be fine, relax and don't worry :)

They can't run concurrently.  Each step depends on the previous one being complete.

The timing seems about right for me though you can typically pay for express processing for step 4, to make it only take 1 day instead of 4.

• Like 1

Probably depends on the country as well, my company would initiate the process and get all the necessary documents from employees two months before heading to China, and would give the consulate at least one month to process it, as sometimes you have to submit additional documents. 

They do not run concurrently and if you manage to get the visa in the time of all these steps added up together you are a very lucky boy. The biggest problem is getting the right documents in exactly the right way they want them to be, new regulations that might just pop up and holidays or any other kinds of delays.

If you get it all done within two months, that is a pretty good effort I would say. I know people who have been fighting with this for up to a year....

The renewal is also a pain, but in comparison to getting it done the first time it feels like a breeze...