Chinese-Forums

Foreigner jailed for 5 years in Shanghai for visa fraud.

liuzhou

Link above didn't work. Try here:

http://www.china.org.cn/china/2015-03/24/content_35136047.htm

Most Chinese court decisions are now published online. I couldn't find the decision in this specific case, but I did find another similar case, also in Shanghai, where the defendant was also sentenced to five years for fraud in applying for work permits for foreigners. Most of the foreigner visa applicants in that case were teaching in kindergartens. See below.

http://www.court.gov.cn/zgcpwsw/sh/shsdyzjrmfy/shsmxqrmfy/xs/201410/t20141026_3634806.htm

自报侯双双、自报谭南出售出入境证件一审刑事判决书

提交时间:2014-10-26

• Like 2

This thread should be pinned. 

"It's China, nobody cares, nobody gets caught",  yeah right, illegal immigrants are illegal immigrants and will be living in fear. 

You'll note that it wasn't the illegal immigrants that were imprisoned, but the person helping them to falsify their visas. I guess it's likely that some/all of the people the guy helped were probably deported, but the article doesn't specify.

Yeah, I assumed from the title this was an individual who sorted themselves out with a visa ... but the guy jailed is someone who made a business out of it. Somewhat different from working on the wrong visa.

I think it's (yet another) sign that dodgy visas are an increasingly dangerous option. The folk that got their visas might not be getting five year jail sentences (although I wouldn't rule it out in cases where maybe someone's been obviously doing it for an extended period and perhaps been warned off in the past) but I'd expect they found themselves buying some expensive last-minute flights home...

Somewhat different from working on the wrong visa.

Working on the wrong visa= illegal immigrant= will be deported when caught.

Obviously the odds of facing jail time are lower for people who have not committed serious fraud. Trafficked people rarely go to jail, if that's what you worry about.