Chinese-Forums

Can someone help me with the book I'm writing?

Jemima

Off topic, but some statistics about world poverty http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_percentage_of_population_living_in_poverty

China is not even close to India and Bangladesh, but the most poverty is found in Africa.

But like I said, how much money the refugees in my story had is of no matter, and the reason they went to Taoyuan will never be mentioned in the book. The reader will only know that they had to leave earth because their homes were destroyed.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2004-05/10/content_329171.htm

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jun/04/china-villages-cancer-deaths

However, the link between pollution and poor health is well established. Cancer mortality rates in China have risen 80% over the past 30 years, making it the country's leading cause of death. In cities, toxic air is a primary suspect; in the countryside, it's the water. More than 70% of the country's rivers and lakes are polluted, according to government reports; almost half may contain water that is unfit for human contact.

Let's hope you can find a happy ending to this story. At least in your book. 

"My main character, 18 years old: Huang JinHai 黄金海

Father, born year 2002: Huang BoHai 黄薄海\

..."

As per Chinese tradition, this will not be the case that the son shares one or more same characher(s) with his father in their given names. On the opposite, the father(elder members of the family) will try to avoiding the case when name his son(young generation). It is a taboo(忌讳) that the son calls his father(elder generation) name whether his fater is live or dead.

So It is strongly recommended that you change the father's name.

Members of the same generation(辈) can share one same character in their given(first) names, in Jinhai's case, their family name is Huang(Last name); and they all are Generation of Jin(金字辈). so there will be no problem with names below:

Young brother: Huang JinXing 黄金星

Young brother: Huang JinHang  黄金航

Young sister: Huang Jinfeng 黄金

Young sister: Huang JinYun 黄金云 

Youngest sister: Huang JinJin 黄金金

• Like 1

And what about space ship names... anyone know a really cool hero of old? European spaceships are called Hermes after the messenger of the gods in Greek mythology. Any similar kind of hero in old Chinese tales that would make a good space ship name?

山 = Guang Shan county in Xinyang, Henan according to Perapera.

May I suggest . Tai Shan =泰 山, this tai means safe, peaceful, grand. I think it is the name of a mountain in china.

Sounds good to me, but I may be totally wrong as I m only a beginner..

As for space ship... today's Chinese space ships are named Shenzhou (meaning "spirit/God-boat"?), but the full name is 神舟号飞船. 

I thought maybe a future space ship would be named after some ancient Chinese hero or so... and I thought about Sima Qian (司马迁) an astrologer of old times who made the lunar calendar or something. There is already a planet named after him, but maybe they would name a space ship after him too?

Another question, about Chinese weddings. The officiant in Western weddings ask the bride and groom this: "(Name), do you take (Name) for your lawful wedded wife/husband, to live in the holy estate of matrimony? "

Is it similar in China? 

Another question, about Chinese weddings. The officiant in Western weddings ask the bride and groom this: "(Name), do you take (Name) for your lawful wedded wife/husband, to live in the holy estate of matrimony? "

Only in Christian marriages. Civil marriages, which in the UK are slightly in the majority, have no such question. Don't know the statistics in the USA.

Given that the Chinese communist party is officially athiest they aren't going to be asking about "the holy estate of matrimony".

The legal marriage 'ceremony' s purely functional.

"Are you legally entitled to marry?"

"Yes"

"OK. You are married. Give us the cash!"