Chinese-Forums

Tsinghua Uni- CPFP Program (Master in International Relations)- 2015 Fall Entry

nhlktl

Hello everyone,

I have been accepted to the CPFP Program at Tsinghua for 2015 fall. I would like to know is there anybody else accepted or applied for the same program?

I thought that would be amazing to get to know future classmates and keep in touch with them.

Hi, I was wondering if you could help me with some questions about Tsinghua and the application process. I'm going to apply for 2016 and I want to do a master's related to environmental policy, public policy or international relations. My focus in undergrad was US-China relations with a lot of study on environmental issues, including in the US, China and globally. And over that focus... a heavy interest in NGOs and GONGOs. 

Hi @huina,

I'll try to do my best regarding your questions. Actually, I am not much interested in environmental policy, so I have no idea that whether Tsinghua offers courses on that. However, this program specifically focuses on Chinese politics and international relations and as I understood on a more realistic approach (IR approach). But, since this is one of the best university in China and I'm sure they can offer something related to your interests. The best way to learn that to get in contact with the program director or other professors in the department.

And also you can look it over http://www.tsinghua.edu.cn/publish/iren/2420/index.html here to the courses that they generally offer in the program. 

Thanks! Their public policy and IR programs are what interest me the most. Thanks so much for the course list!

Sorry about this copypasta! I'm just trying to get as much information on the three universities I'll be applying for pre-admission to. So I'm posting it on all the relevant threads I see >__>;;

What were your experiences with the pre admissions process? How did it work?

Is it super hard for foreigners to get in? I had an ok GPA at one college and an amazing GPA at another. My professors should give me good recs and are fairly well known in their respective fields. 

What program did you apply to-English language or Chinese?

Did you need to have a thesis proposal for pre-application? 

I'm interested in public policy and international relations. In my undergrad I focused on US-China relations with a lot of study on environmental politics and NGOs (US, China and globally). So what program would you suggest for that? I am willing to put the pedal to the metal to hit HSK 6 and study in Chinese. I should be HSK 5 by July. 

As I understand right, you are going to apply for CSC Scholarship? Since I have another source of scholarship, I have applied for the program directly. I assume for the CSC Scholarship that the process would be a bit different and complex. And maybe the admission together with the CSC would be more competitive. Actually, I have no idea what you mean as pre-admission. I have no knowledge about other applicants to the program, as a foreigner it wasn't that hard to get in actually. But to be honest, I think I have a really strong application such as high GPA, respective references, work and research experiences in the field, English score. I didn't have a thesis proposal which is not required. 

I hope it helps a bit. Good luck with that!

Thanks! CSC requires pre-approved admission for the top colleges. So I'd apply via their internal system first, then apply for CSC after getting admitted (hopefully). I don't have work or research experience yet, or a publication, which makes me a little worried...but how am I supposed to get the opportunity to do research without being really lucky in undergrad? It's a bit hard to get good experience without the right guanxi (or in the US, "networking"). My GPA was 3.45 at the end of my last semester and I made dean's list for my performance in my major classes. I have a 3.67 GPA at the respectable local college where I took summer courses and one semester at home (due to illness, I had to move back to my home city for one semester of my undergrad--I'm all better and really healthy now). I have strong demonstrated interest in the field. So worried! Ack!

@tsinghuabound

I read that you've been accepted to the program and i've tried to send you a private message then I couldn't. Then I assumed if I add you as a friend, I could do that but again I couldn't. As you see, I'm also new to the forum and no idea how to send a private message. But I'm glad you saw this topic. Congrats to you getting accepted as well. I'm from Turkey. How about you?

• Like 1

• New Members

I'm from the US but have been living in Shanghai for the past three years. I'm about 80% sure I will be at Tsinghua this fall, it just depends on if my scholarship gets stamped through the central bureau. If not, I will be at Tsinghua for the IUP program, so I will see you around no matter what!

Where are you all from/what are you interested in studying at Tsinghua?

That's great and hope that your scholarship get the approval thing. I'm from Turkey. I am not exactly sure what specifically to focus on at the Tsinghua but I am interested in studying rising and regional powers.

What about you? Do you have any specific idea what to focus on?

Hi browst,

I'm also from the US, it sounds like you're already really familiar with China. That's great to hear. Can I ask if you were nominated by the Embassy or by Tsinghua for the scholarship? 

As for what I'm interested in studying. I think I'll either focus on International Political Economy or Public Diplomacy. What about you?

• New Members

@nhlktl Thanks! I hope it gets approved too...

@tsinghuabound I was nominated through Tsinghua. I couldn't apply through the embassy since I am already residing in China and therefore they would not accept it (or so I was told).

I'm also a bit unsure of what exactly to study. I have a lot of disparate interests that I am trying to stitch together under the umbrella of "International Relations and Public Policy". I am very interested in studying demography and its effects on public policy and/or IR, especially through using ARCGIS and other mapping programs. I've heard that professors really just want you to do your research in ways that support their own, so I guess I will have to get creative in how I am going to shoehorn my research interests to align with theirs. We shall see.

And yes I would say I am pretty familiar with Shanghai and the surrounding cities, however Beijing is a completely different beast. I imagine it will be as surprising for me as it is for everyone else!

• 1 month later...