Chinese-Forums

Any summer volunteer programs in Taiwan or China for intermediate learners interested in teaching English?

Rhuang

China used to have those. Have you googled yet?

But I'd advise you to do your research thoroughly. If you're a certified English teacher, there is no need to teach for free (unless it's to very disadvantaged children, so research well). Plenty of Chinese pay decent money for decent English teaching, and you shouldn't give it away if there is no need for that. If you don't have any accreditations, you might not be allowed to teach at all (visa issues, research this well). If your goal is not so much teaching English but rather spending time in China/Taiwan, look into summer school options.

• Like 2

my friends been interested in doing this thing called 'work away' its basically free accommodation (meals included) in exchange for a few hours of work. They have some stuff in China too. She hasn't done it yet so I can't speak for how it is but I think it's legit?

• Like 1

Oh I am actually currently a highschool student, so i have no credentials. My chinese teacher showed me a summer program like thing that her son is volunteering at where students 16+ can be trained and then teach English to natives in rural areas in or near Taiwan. It sounds so interesting and like an amazing opportunity. I am just looking for other programs besides this one so i have more options.

Are you referring to the AID summer program? The program is run by the Overseas Community Affairs Council in Taiwan and is for overseas Taiwanese to volunteer in rural areas in Taiwan and to understand their parents' homeland. 

I second Lu's advice and think you need to figure out if you want to teach English or learn Chinese. If the visa and work permits are not handled correctly, it can be a big problem. The reason this isn't an issue for AID is because it's a government program.

Oh my teacher sent me this link! http://www.ocac.gov.tw/OCAC/Pages/List.aspx?nodeid=65 This entire website is in chinese, but she said I only need to know fairly basic chinese...The AID prgram looks interesting though!

Anyways, yst, I'm interested in both teaching english and learning Chinese, but more interested in teaching English. 

Your teacher gave you the OCAC site, so it lists all the programs they provide. 海外華裔青年臺灣觀摩團 is a program to study about Taiwan. 海外華裔青年英語服務營 is the AID program. 海外華裔青年語文研習班 is a language study program.

The goals of these programs are to expose overseas Taiwanese to Taiwan in hopes that they would return to Taiwan to study or work. Under the eyes of the government, anyone with a Taiwanese parent holding a ROC passport is Taiwanese a member of the ROC also eligible for a ROC passport. I'm not sure how much you know about Taiwanese history and politics - but this would be the government's point of view of Taiwan.

Maybe there are others out there who know more about high school volunteer programs abroad. I have no idea if they exist outside of government or maybe religious groups.

I guess the next question is if it has to be abroad. I'm not sure where you are, but what about volunteering at a local center for recent immigrants, or even an ESL summer camp?

If you do want to go abroad, the only thing I can think of is doing an exchange program. You'll be in a immersive language learning environment, and I'm sure you'll be able to help your classmates with their English.

Yea my teacher told me the same thing--how they want people who are more likely to return. You never know, maybe I will! Both my parents are Taiwanese and I have visited Taiwan before, so I'm pretty interested in knowing about my culture. This program specifically interested me though because I like working with kids, and it would be a huge plus to be able to improve my speaking skills and learn about the culture all at the same time!

I guess I will keep researching for programs best for me because I don't know of any other programs...It doesn't have to be abroad, but my mom wanted me to visit Taiwan with her next summer, so if I got accepted into the program, i'd be hitting two birds with one stone!

If you want to teach English, the best route to take would be to first, finish high school, then, study a relevant degree and get certification for teaching English. That would teach you an invaluable amount of things on not just English, but also how to teach it, classroom management and whatnot. Just speaking English as a mother tongue doesn't make you a teacher. The downside of this is that it would take a few years, but surely you want to be a good teacher and not just someone who chats with kids.

If you want to go to China/Taiwan this/next summer, I think you should do something else than teach English. You can try an exchange program, or the AID thing (is this the same program that is known as the 'love boat'? Taking a big group of overseas Taiwanese kids around the country, learning Chinese and Taiwanese culture and such? I met a few people who did it and they liked it). Or if you have family in Taiwan, you can consider staying at their place for some time. Once word gets around you're the American cousin, there will be people who want your help with their homework. Or just visit with your mom. Or do a summer school program (not sure if they have them for high school students, but you can ask).

Good luck! I'm sure you'll have a great time.

(is this the same program that is known as the 'love boat'? Taking a big group of overseas Taiwanese kids around the country, learning Chinese and Taiwanese culture and such? I met a few people who did it and they liked it)

I'm not sure if it's the same program or there are more programs now with different things to do.

Oh I am actually currently a highschool student, so i have no credentials. My chinese teacher showed me a summer program like thing that her son is volunteering at where students 16+ can be trained and then teach English to natives in rural areas in or near Taiwan. It sounds so interesting and like an amazing opportunity. I am just looking for other programs besides this one so i have more options.

Sounds like a great idea to spend a summer. You don't have to teach them to be experts in English. That would be an abnormal expectation for one summer. and you don't need to have a teaching qualification if they provide you with a bit of training.

Don't worry about getting a relevant degree in teaching English. I can't see the relevance of it for a summer volunteer program.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • New Members

Thanks for posting Rhuang and others. I am looking into similar ideas for my daughters for the years ahead. They have lived in China 3 years and have good conversational Chinese, and we visit every year to travel and keep in touch with our Chinese friends. Like Rhuang I am researching for future years when I they can carry out service projects in China, probably related to English language. The aim is service and interaction with native Chinese speakers. The oldest is only 13 so I'm thinking a few years down the track...