Chinese-Forums

BICC Summer School and travel 2015

LiMo

Hi, guys,

I've recently been accepted on to the Beijing International Chinese College Summer School. Many thanks to Tianjin42 for the heads up on these forums, that's how I found out about it.

This will be my first trip to China and my first trip beyond the UK as a lone traveller. I'm extremely excited but also quite nervous. I just wanted to post and see if anyone else got accepted too, or if there is anyone in Beijing that could show me the ropes (or just point me in the direction of a good bar :lol: ). I'm hoping to do a little bit of travelling after the course finishes, as far as I know I'll  be getting an F visa which can last up to 90 days, I'll post something in the visa issue section for that, I assume it's automatically issued for as long as the course so I'll have to request an extra long one maybe. 

Regarding travelling, does anyone have any recommendations. I have a friend in Wuhan and if I'm lucky I'll end up in Hangzhou as part of my masters course in a few years, so I was thinking I could take a trip down to Shanghai/Hangzhou, check out Zhejiang University, and then head inland to see my friend. On the other hand, there's Beijing-Xi'an and the North? Anything good in Manchuria (the name is infused with history, love it!)?

as requested, replying from your other thread LiMo. 

BICC? I can't recommend sorry. I, and many other students have found them to be far below par on teaching. There are many better schools around. Several left and went to a different school. I'd give it a 2/5

• Like 1

Johnny20270, What was it about the teaching that was below par? How many classes were there? (possible to change teachers if you want?) What were the class sizes?

Essentially, i'd like to know more information about your experience. :P

Hmm, yes, please explain in a little more detail.

How did you find the other activities they organised? 

To be honest, I'm actually not too bothered as it's free. Obviously I'd much prefer a good course, but I'm really just looking forward to finally going to China for the first time. Perhaps I'll console myself with the adage, "you get what you pay for," and as I haven't paid for anything I can't expect much :/  It's a real shame that they let you down though.

LiMo, don't let it dampen your enthusiasm for the trip... afterall, any number of things could change between each of these programs - for better or worse!

It sounds like you've got a good attitude already though which is definitely the way to go.

Hi all, I can pm you guys directly. I have had some issues with this school as had other students. I have also been to another language sschool so can make a direct comparision. Both schools use the exact same book and I covered the same 5 chapters in each school so a compariosn was easy.

However I did have a feedback session with the head of BICC which was very constructive. I will say he seems a conscientious and professional individual.  He seems to have taken the matter seriously. Time will tell whether these issues will be rectified or not. However it would be inappropriate to put some of my experience on a public forum at this conjuncture before they have a chance to retify them