Chinese-Forums

Redmi / Hongmi phones

al1978

I would be very wary about buying a Chinese phone with the intention of using it abroad. Consider that they use a customized Android that blocks the normal app stores and many applications. You'd have to install a custom ROM which is often unavailable specificially for your model to use normal things like Google maps or any Google services for that matter. 

Even a Samsung smartphone I bought in China was next to unusable abroad, it wouldn't even connect to the 3g services in Europe with a foreign SIM installed. 

If you want to buy a Chinese brand buy it abroad with different operating system installed. 

Samsung models and Xiaomi models are not the same. I don't know specifically how Hongmi differs from the Xiaomi Mi2, however the latter one works perfectly abroad with the stock Android/MIU interface, you can use Google Play, Google Maps, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube apps. Samsung phones bought in China are crappy in terms of usage, I agree, ZTE and Lenovo also have problems, but the Huawei and Xiaomi phones I have seen before worked perfectly abroad.