Chinese-Forums

Chinese Machine Translation

techie

Never trust those machine translators. THey're really crap. People will just laugh at your translation.

Try the free one here: http://world.altavista.com/ , you can just copy and paste a piece of English news and translate it there. See if your Chinese friends can understand or not.

Yeah, they suck for single sentences. But I use the Altavista Babelfish translator a lot for looking at entire web pages. It's great if you want to get the general meaning of a large document, or browse a webpage in another language. Btw, I'm talking about translating from a foreign language into a language you're fluent in - if you want translation into a language you're not familiar with, you're going to have to do it the old fashioned way.

Thanks for all your responses. They do make lots of sense. Sometimes I use the Worldlingo translator online and it's ok if you use simple sentences. I am now comparing this one with the "Babelfish" translator you recommended, especially for translating webpages.

Tesuo, I am almost now beginning my second year of simplified Chinese. I am using many differents sources to learn the language.

Again, thanks for the advise. As I have said in the past, this is a great forum because of the people in here.

Regards

Thanks for all your responses. They do make lots of sense. Sometimes I use the Worldlingo translator online and it's ok if you use simple sentences. I am now comparing this one with the "Babelfish" translator you recommended' date=' especially for translating webpages.

Tesuo, I am almost now beginning my second year of simplified Chinese. I am using many differents sources to learn the language.

Again, thanks for the advise. As I have said in the past, this is a great forum because of the people in here.

Regards[/quote']

:D that's great! good luck in your endeavour.

• 2 weeks later...
Sometimes I use babelfish to translate what I've written in Chinese back into English. It's kind of helpful that way for catching mistakes I've discovered, but not foolproof of course.

you cant count on this, Tsunku! see, it's the result translating your words into chinese by the translater.

有时我使用babelfish 翻译什么我写在汉语回到英语。它有点儿有用, 方式为发现我发现的差错, 但不极简单当然。

there are lots of mistakes in it! Nothing is further from the truth. i think a correct version should be:

有时候我使用babelfish 把我用汉语写的东西翻译回英语。它对我证实我发现的错误非常有用,但不是十分有保证。

you can just post your writing here, i think there are lots of native mandarin speakers would give u a help, dont count on a mashine!

But Tsunku was talking about translating from Chinese to English; and for catching particular types of mistake, not in order to get a perfect translation.

I just tried putting cometrue's translation into systransoft.com, and it doesn't translate it at all; the "English" version is just the original Chinese! Anyone know why?

Sometimes you might have to "refresh" your page and/or try it again.

I typed the following in English and I am enclosing the result herein:

I type the following in English

This was translated with the program you suggested.

And obtained the result of same in Simplified Chinese.

这被翻译了以您建议的节目。

Try again. It seems to work fine.

Regards

It did!

"Some times I use babelfish to use me the thing which Chinese writes to

translate English. It to me confirmed I discovered the mistake is

extremely useful, but extremely has the guarantee."

Lovely job. Especially forgetting to translate 不 in the last clause. Wonder how that happened?

But the translation definitely doesn't work fine. :P

This was translated with the program you suggested. =/= 这被翻译了以您建议的节目。 (program = 程式 in this case)... and the overall translations sounds extremely weired.

Yeah, I never really translate from English to Chinese unless I'm only looking for a particular word that isn't in the dictionary.

Like smithsj said, I was talking about backwards translation. I write in Chinese, then translate to English to see what comes up. Usually I only catch typos, writing the wrong character sort of mistakes, or word choice. Its not very useful for grammar checking because the grammar comes out all screwed up anyhow (as this thread definitly indicates).