Chinese-Forums

Le Centre technique interprofessionnel des fruits et légumes

Kenny同志

請教論壇懂法語的男士女士:Le Centre technique interprofessionnel des fruits et légumes 用英文如何稱呼?

我用Google Translate翻譯了一下,但還是擔心不夠精準。

Is there anyone who knows French. I would appreciate an English translation of the name of this French organisation. I've tried Google Translate but I have a worry that the translation it provides is not sufficiently accurate.

Any help is appreciated.

Multi/Inter Disciplinary Technical Centre for Fruits and Vegetables

Maybe, this is from my rusty french. I was born in Montreal, Canada and lived there till I was 15 but that was some 40 years ago.

• Like 1

^From that document, it seems that's the name they use in English, so if the target language is English, you probably shouldn't translate it at all (you could include an explanatory note after the first usage if necessary). It looks like the acronym they use is "Ctifl", though standard English rules of capitalisation would dictate that it should be "CTIFL" - which capitalisation to use is really just a style issue.

• Like 1

Thanks Skylee.

I think that's a good translation, except that I'd go with 技術研究所.

Interestingly, I wrote a very short essay(see below) on the use of 中心 last month. It may be of interest to some members here.

中心

論及此詞,須談英文詞「centre」。「centre」一詞多義,可指一物正中的位置或部分,按《牛津高階英漢雙解詞典》(第六版)釋義,亦可指「a building or place used for a particular purpose or activity」(用於某一目的或活動的建築、處所),所附用法示例有:「shopping centre」(「購物中心」)、「the Centre for Policy Studies」(「政策研究中心」)。

中文的「中心」,當然義同 centre」的第一個義項,指一物正中的位置或部分,但也僅此而已。譯者不察,往往以「中心」強譯「centre」的第二個義項。由於「centre」此一義項在英文裡用得極廣,而今又適逢翻譯大潮,遂令舉國上下學舌英文,「購物中心」、「咨詢中心」、「培訓中心」、「研究中心」之類說法氾濫成災。我不禁問一句,中心在哪裡?

所謂「購物中心」,不過是商場、商城;所謂「咨詢中心」,不過是咨詢處;所謂「培訓中心」,也就是培訓學校、培訓班;而「研究中心」,不僅可以是研究處,還可以是研究所、研究室、研究院。

Thanks Skylee.

I know little French but given the fact that CTIFL is placed in a list of research institutes, I have good reason to believe that the use of 研究所 is justified. Anyway, even if we choose not to use this term, 技術所 would solve the problem.

As a french native, I can say this :

- The CTIFL is not doing scientific research, it appears to be a institution of control and certification, technical expertise, and spreading innovations.

- On Linguee you can find some translation used in english

http://www.linguee.fr/francais-anglais/search?source=auto&query=Centre+technique+interprofessionnel+des+fruits+et+l%C3%A9gumes

- The name in french sounds a bit hilarious ("centre interprofessionnel des fruits et légumes"...you can't help but think it's an interprofessionnal center where bananas can meet carrots.... :mrgreen:)

So on their website they now write " Le centre technique au service de la filière fruits et légumes" http://www.ctifl.fr/

• Like 1

- The name in french sounds a bit hilarious ("centre interprofessionnel des fruits et légumes"...you can't help but think it's an interprofessionnal center where bananas can meet carrots.... :mrgreen:)

Nah, it's the interprofessional center where, after decades of research, they finally worked out how to compare apples with oranges.