Chinese-Forums

How to make green tea that isn't bitter

abcdefg

Good to know, Imron. Thanks.

I like the double-walled glass ones too. Saw some yesterday that had shock-absorbing plastic molded over the most vulnerable impact points down near the base to make them sturdier for mobile carry.

Robust demand seems to drive supply, makes it innovative. Not surprising.

Everyone has a cup in Beijing too but I'd say tea drinking is more often something you associate with older people. Younger people will of course sometimes drink tea, but you mostly see water in their own cups - at the office or in the back of backpacks. The "tea drink" stalls are very popular - those that sell tea infused with fruit and probably a lot of sugar.

You also see more and more people drinking coffee. Starbucks disposable cups especially seem like a office worker fashion statement.

• Like 1

Everyone has a cup in Beijing too but I'd say tea drinking is more often something you associate with older people.

ChTTay, I'll bet that's right, come to think of it. I have quite a few young friends here in Kunming who just don't want to fool with tea. If I ask them about it, they usually say something along the lines of, "Oh, my Dad drinks tea. Grandma too. I just never had time for it."

Another generational divide.

Starbucks disposable cups especially seem like a office worker fashion statement.

Haha! Sign of the times. Probably more so in the first-tier cities than in relative backwaters like Kunming. (Though we do have 星巴克。)

#22 -- Yours looks like a good one, Imron. Well designed.

• 4 months later...

I'll have to try some of this once I get my hands on some Chinese green tea again.  With Japanese sencha, I used to steep it way too long, making it crazy bitter.  With that, I now just remove the teabag after a little bit and that solves the problem.  And not as much tea.

About tea bags, the majority are made with "fannings" that are very small particles of broken tea leaves that would otherwise be discarded. The makers want to have the color and main taste be available quickly after dunking in hot water. They are not subtle and become bitter quickly. In the case of black tea, that doesn't much matter since people add sweetener, lemon or milk.

Of course there are some exceptions in which good quality tea has been put into larger "tent-shaped" tea bags. But as a general rule, if you want good tea, you need to look beyond tea bags to find it.

• Like 2