Chinese-Forums

Steamed lotus root: 莲藕

anonymoose

For those who have not been to China, maybe you don't know what steamed lotus root looks like.

Just thought I'd post this pic - I've been pracitising with my new camera at the weekend.

post-297-0-00104700-1431351992_thumb.jpg

What is the stuffing? Sticky rice? I have never eaten it.

Lotus root slices always appear in soup or stew in my mom's cooking. If it is part of a soup, I will eat it after dipping it in soy sauce mixed with pepper. If it is in a stew, it is probably cooked with roasted pork and mushrooms in a dark sauce. Yummy.

Yes, sticky rice.  Lotus root prepared in this way is called 桂花糯米藕 or 蜜汁糯米藕, and is very sweet and sticky. According to Baidu, it is a speciality of 江南地区 - lotus root done Gangnam style.

I like that too, but in small amounts.

Here (Kunming) we often find steamed or boiled lotus root slices 藕片 mixed with dry peppers, salt and oil, sold streetside from large pans by mobile vendors. They put some in a plastic bag or paper cup and you eat it with toothpicks.

I was in Macau last week and had a Cantonese dim sum brunch one day. One of the items was 藕片 stuffed with crabmeat and pan fried. Delicious.

post-20301-0-40778800-1431401689_thumb.jpg post-20301-0-97580000-1431401747_thumb.jpg

Nice sharp center focus on your pix, Anonymoose. Good use of depth of field to blur the less important parts.

According to Baidu, it is a speciality of 江南地区 - lotus root done Gangnam style.

Gangnam style, of course. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PS - but unlike the "Jiang" in Jiangnan which refers to the Yangtze, the "Gang" in "Gangnam" is 漢江.