Chinese-Forums

Common / Different uses of 保存 保留 保持

ChTTay

Hello there,

I struggle to remember when to use these three words 保存 保留 保持. I can, of course, read the definitions of each on pleco but when I'm doing gapfills/cloze sentences I often confuse them.

Is there any easy way to sort these?

:-?

保+存 ≈ “protect/ensure" + "retain/keep"  to keep something the way it is, not changing something, keeping something intact

This is used when you want to keep something the same, whether it be a physical object or an immaterial value, similar to preserve.

这些文物被博物馆保存。

保+留  "protect/ensure" + "remain/stay"  to keep something set aside, saving it for later use

This is used when you want to keep something out of reach until it can be used for its intended purpose, similar to reserve.

饭馆在保留我们的桌子。

保+持  "protect/ensure" + "hold/grasp"  to keep something about oneself, to maintain a characteristic or quality about oneself

This is used when you want to keep something about someone (something that they, themselves "hold") the same, again, similar to preserve.

在图书馆里请保持安静。

The quotations represent what I personally think of at a first glance at each character. The characters of course, possess much more meaning, but these are my short, go-to definitions, which I use consistently to remember what certain compounds mean. In this case, I'd say they work reasonably well. As far as I know, 保存 and 保持 overlap a little, and in certain contexts can be interchangeable.

Sorry if this is a little basic, but here's how I remembered it:

We 保存 our homework on the computer. We can also right click and 保存 images from the internet.(保存文件,图片)

China has 保留ed its traditions and culture for thousands of years. (保留传统,文化)

Some people go on diets to 保持 their body shape. You can also 保持 contact with your friends. (保持身材, 联系)

Meanings get more complex, but does it make a little sense now?

• Like 3

As mentioned above, 保持 is part of 保持联系, which my friends and I often say when parting. That's how I remember it. (Don't have a trick for the others.)

Sorry if this is a little basic, but here's how I remembered it:

Some people go on diets to 保持 their body shape. You can also 保持 contact with your friends. (保持身材, 联系)

Here is how I remembered it - 保持沉默

保+存 ≈ “protect" and "store away/conserve"  The emphasis is on the existence of the thing.

这些文物被博物馆保存。 These relics are maintained/kept by the museum.  (The implied fear is that without the museums actions, the relics could be lost, damaged, or destroyed.)

保+留  "protect" and "leave as is"  The emphasis is on the continued status of the thing, but not on its existence or security.  The emphasis may also be on leaving something unaltered.

饭馆在保留我们的桌子。  The restaurant is reserving our table.

这个地方还保留着原来的面貌。 The place still looks the same as before.  (The place has been left alone and preserved from change.)

保+持  "protect" + "hold/grasp"  The emphasis is on the "subject's" conduct and continued maintenance of some state or relationship.  The something else is usually viewed generically, and so its existence or continued status by itself is not at issue.  The only issue is whether the subject will maintain his/her "hold" on the state.

在图书馆里请保持安静。 Please keep silent in the library.  (The issue is not whether silence exists anywhere in the library, but rather whether the addressees will maintain it.)

保持警惕。  Maintain vigilance.

Some further thoughts for some close cases:

If you treat it as a resource that might be depleted, use 保存.  (Its "storage"  (存) is in question.)

If you treat it as a possession that might be lost, use 保留. (It's status and "ownership" are in question.  How is it left (留)?)

If you consider it as conduct that must not be suspended, use 保持.  (Your maintenance of the state is in question.  What is your hold (持) on the situation.)

保存实力。 Preserve one's strength.

保留革命朝气。  Retain revolutionary fervor.

保持中立。 Remain neutral.

I like to search the word in Google and see what nouns often appear after it. Put each of these words in a Google search and then copy 10 sentences of each that have different nouns or clauses following it. This will quickly give you an idea of how the meanings of each word differ.