Chinese-Forums

Yunnan university vs keats school, which one is better ?

bomber01

Hello everyone !

I would like to come in kunming next september to study mandarin 1-2 years  and i really don't know how to chose between yunnan unversity and keats school :'( :'(

In one hand, yunnan unniversity provide awesome environment to study mandarin (campus with possibilty to meet chinese student, a lot of ressources and materials etcc ..) and in the other hand i read some awesome comments regarding keats school. (teachers speaks english, you can adapt your schedule to your need etc ...)

Regarding the price, both are the same (iam interested by taking small group classes in keats school http://keatschinese.com/en/apply/small-group-course) one semester at keats cost RMB 4K and one semester at yunnan university cost RMB 5800.

So how can I choose ? i am really confused right now, both looks great so maybe iam lacking informations before taking decisions.

In your opinions, what are the main advantages and inconvenients of those 2 schools ?

Many thanks in advance for your help !! ^_^

It's like comparing apples and oranges; can't really ask which is better.

One is a major university with large classes, some taught by indifferent teachers, and a nice shady campus. You get academic credit. You will be locked in to a rate of progress that is pretty slow unless you commit to lots of extra-curricular learning activities. In other words, it will require lots of personal initiative to make good progress.

Keats is a private school with small classes. You get more personal attention but will meet fewer local Chinese people. If you aren't careful, you will exist in a comfortable "foreigner bubble." The teachers will challenge you individually and care about how you do. No academic credit. Not sure if that's important to you.

If I were a beginner faced with your choice, I'd think about starting out at Keats. They will hold your hand and help you adjust to Kunming and to China. Then I'd transfer to the university after a semester if I enjoyed the "China experience" and liked Kunming. I would supplement the university class work as much as possible. It's easy to just coast through.

Also, if you decide on Keats, think about takings some one-to-one classes there. You will make much faster progress that way. It costs more, but is immensely better. If the small group classes are only a couple times a week, not sure it will even be worth your while. Learning Chinese requires intensity and benefits greatly from immersion.

Personal disclaimer: I have studied at Keats, but not at Yunnan University, so I might be biased.