Chinese-Forums

Need to find a green space where one can relax

Andrea.dispe

I'm looking for a green park where one can relax, have pic nic meal, play volleyball or badminton or somthing. I mean I normal green space where one can sit and have a decent rest day like in all other normal cities. I cannot find any place like this. All is covered with cement here.

Someone told me about Taoranting park, someone knows it? any other suggestion are welcomed.

thx

1. Haidian Park has large, green areas. It resembles more of a 'western park' in that sense, with people lying on the grass, throwing balls/frisbees.. etc although there are not really any flowers. You can almost certainly take a bus from Wudaokou from here.

2. Purple Bamboo park. A nice park near the National Library stadium

3. Jingshan park. Have you been to this park just north of the forbidden city? I can't believe anyone could dislike this park.

Most Chinese parks have a fair amount of 'concrete' but this tends to be the large paths and square type areas where people sit, dance and sing etc. I guess a lot of the paths do tend to be pretty large!

The concept of a park seem different here, depending on where you are from. Water features and rocks do not a park make in my opinion but there you go - I guess I am in favour of a nice lawn, wild flowers etc. 

Anyway, as well as those above, the Olympic Park up near the stadiums is very big and has some nice green spaces for the sorts of activities you mention. Be aware though that if you venture too far north you will hit the ring-road.

I like Ditan Park but there isn't much green space, to be honest. 

There are few nice spots in Chaoyang Park as well. 

If you really want some peace and tranquility you may well want to get out of the city to some of the beauty spots outside of the city but if you don't want to go far consider a few of the suggestions made here and above. 

The Botanical Gardens are indeed a great escape, but it sounds to me like the OP is simply looking for your standard large and rather boring urban park, where people-watching is the main activity, and in that case I'd also go for Chaoyang Park.

Beijing has a lot of people and not too much tranquil green space, so any park that I've been to so far has lots of people on a sunny day. But if you don't mind that there are plenty of parks with lawns to picnic on, many Chinese bring their entire camping gear. 

There is loads of green space around. I live in Chaoyang and Chaoyang Park is huge (the South has that rather annoying amuesment park, but there is plenty of space in North of it) and you can picknick, play badminton or whatever else you feel like. If you want to be somewhere with not so many people, you have to walk further away from the main trails on the weekend.

The outoor swimming pool and beach volleyball area is also pretty cool, especially Mon - Fri evening (on the weekends it gets very crowded unfortunately), but that will only open in June/July (they never tell anyone in advance).

I personally quite like Tuanjiehu park, but thats mainly because there are a lot of people doing interesting things, from Kong Fu to revolutionary songs, sounds like you are more looking for the being alone experience.

If you live in Haidian or somewhere else up there in the sticks (take note you wudaokouers :P ) then I cant help much with parks, as I was mainly drunk when I studied there many many years ago. Best bet is to rent a car and drive to the mountains, wall or South Beijing for the weekend if you really want to get away though.