Chinese-Forums

Obtaining a Chinese visa while in Asia

L-F-J

Is it at all possible for an American passport holder to obtain a Chinese visa while in Asia? Either applying in Hong Kong or elsewhere, or by mailing the passport back to the States to get a new visa while still in mainland China?... Or do we have to exit China/Asia, and be in the States to apply?

Preferably, I'd be looking for a 1-2 year visa with 90-day stays, or settle for the 10-year visa with 60-day stays if it's next best possible option. But is there any way to apply for such a visa without having to travel back stateside? That's what I'd really like to find out. It would save a lot of time and cash.

Thanks in advance to anyone with an answer!

Anything can change anytime, but there have been a number of reliable reports that the HK Visa Office has been recently giving Americans 10-year L visas with a 60-day stay, whether or not they are resident in HK. Having had a previous Chinese visa might expedite the process, so bring a copy even if it's in an old passport.

Of course, if you've been spending so much time in Mainland China that it looks like you've been working there, then there may be questions to answer.

A buddy of mine's (2 year spousal) tourist visa expired recently (due to divorce a while back) and he had to leave China.  He went back to the States, immediately applied for a 10-year tourist visa, and got it.  Now he's back, intending to work and live on this visa.  Going to HK every two months, I guess.  We'll see how long that works for him. 

As far as I know tourist visas can be extended while in China, but to actually get a new one you can't be in China.  Similar to the Z visa (which is different from a residence permit).

Do they even do those 1 year F visas any more?  I thought those days of endless renewals were gone when they changed it to M. 

Well, I have a passport full of Chinese visas, mostly tourist. I'm heading to Hong Kong in about a month and will check it out. I'll update this thread with what I find out.

I saw the reddit thread, which I didn't start. User keyilan on there said it couldn't be done in Hong Kong anymore, but that was 18 months ago, and they ended up mailing it back to the States. I figure, if I can't get it done in Hong Kong this time, then I'll try my luck mailing it back.

The question is, will an agency accept it and will a new visa be approved if there isn't a last departure stamp since I'd still be over here? That might be my last option before having to travel back to the States for it.

No, you certainly cannot apply for a new Chinese visa while you're physically in Mainland China by sending your passport overseas. And if by some odd oversight the visa people don't catch it and give you a new visa, you'll quickly find yourself in a complete mess in China, since a new visa usually cancels the old one. Further, the visa application now specifically asks your current physical location.

Note the HK Visa Office wants to see a HK entry slip precisely to make sure the passport-holder is actually in HK.

• 5 weeks later...

Well, I went to the HK Visa Office and spent about 15-20 minutes inside, and when I asked about the possibility of 1-year, 90-day stays like I had previously I just got a flat "no", almost before I completed the sentence... They said, however, that with multiple previous Chinese visas, there's likely no problem getting approved for the 10-year, 60-day-stay visa from HK, but I actually decided not to get it yet.

• New Members

I have a very similar question - I'm hoping to apply for a work visa, to teach English in China. If I can get hired somewhere, that is. But I'm currently teaching English in Thailand and I won't be able to afford to go back to the USA to apply for the Chinese work visa. (I think teachers get a Z visa in China?) Will I be able to do all the visa and work permit stuff in Asia, without going back to the USA?

I have almost the same question as jane31, except I'm living in South Korea with an E2 teaching visa. 

I'd like to do all the visa stuff to get a Z visa while in Korea. Is that possible? 

Also, I am a Canadian citizen, if that makes any difference. 

Jane and Rayne,

In the past, you could go to Hong Kong to process paperwork for a  Z visa. From there, you could head into China.

There have been a few reports of this changing and of people in HK being told they can't process these type of visa there and that you need to return to your home country. Also, people I know in Beijing have said the same thing.

However, if you head over to the 'Hong Kong Visa' thread you'll see one person recently got granted a Z visa there. While he was there it seemed business as usual. You just need to make sure certain documents you get state Hong Kong.

So, in short, you might be able to get a Z visa in Hong Kong or you might not. You will definitely be able to get one in your home country (assuming you meet criteria and paperwork is in order etc).

• New Members

I guess I'm wondering if I could apply directly from Thailand. I think that I could. And Rayne, I also think that you could. I previously taught in Korea and looked into obtaining a Spanish visa while there, and the Spanish embassy told me that as long as I had 6th months left on my Korean work visa, it was okay. Basically if you are "permanently," or for at least a year, working in that country you're a resident and you can apply for another country's visa from there. So I could've applied at the Spanish embassy in Korea. I'm wondering if I can apply for a Z-Visa at the Chinese embassy in Thailand. I think I will have to contact the embassy and ask though. Rayne you might also have to contact the Chinese embassy in Seoul.

I guess I'm wondering if I could apply directly from Thailand. I think that I could

What makes you think this?

Another poster tried to get answers here; http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/47724-canadian-getting-a-z-visa-in-bangkok/?hl=%2Bapply+%2Bin+%2Bthailand#comment-362046

It doesn't look like they ever posted to say what happened. Perhaps you could post in that thread and see if they get back to you.

jane31, I heard that as of January, 2014, you no longer need 6 months left on your Korean visa to apply for a visa in China... So you can get it at any time. But I'm not sure if that's just for a tourist visa or is it for all visas including Z-visas. That's what I'm worried about, if I can get a Z-visa while in Korea or any Asian countries. I don't want to go back to Canada to get the visa, so I'm trying to find another way. 

• New Members

Actually I think I am referring to a Spanish student visa, that's what I called the Spanish embassy about while living in Korea. But I feel like it would be the same for a work visa. Because basically if you are a resident or have a long-term visa in that country, they'll sometimes let you apply from there. I asked this question (about getting a Chinese work visa) on an ESL teaching forum and a couple of people said that they have applied from 3rd countries (not their home country) and have gotten Chinese work visas. So I think it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Sure, worth asking. Let us know what they say and if you get a visa.

Edit: I would say though that don't make plans based on the expectation you can get a Z visa in a country that isn't your own and that isn't HK. China isn't anything like Spain in how open it is to foreign visitors. Good luck anyway!