Chinese-Forums

"whenever" "whatever" repeating verbs

Rhiannon

• New Members

Hi all,

I have been learning mandarin chinese by using several different resources. One of them is several Anki (flashcard) decks, one of which (called SpoonFed Chinese) has suddenly jumped significantly in difficulty with sentences that include "whenever" and "whatever" expressions. I also suspect the translation may be slightly bogus, but that's another matter.

Here are the sentences I am having trouble understanding. They all share a similar structure, in that the first part is repeated with 就 which, when it appears before a verb, means "just". Also I'm sorry about the weird formatting issues from copying from the program, I can't seem to remove the indentations.

Program's translation: Go when you want, ok?
My literal translation: At what time you want to leave, just leave, okay?
Pinyin: nǐ xiǎng zǒu de shíhou jiù zǒu ba.
Characters: 你想走的时候就走吧。
Program's translation: Do whatever he tells you.
My literal translation: You follow what he says, you just do what (implied: he says?)
Pinyin: tā gēn nǐ shuō shénme, nǐ jiù zuò shénme .
Characters: 他跟你说什么,你就做什么。

Program's translation: Give the book to whomever wants it.
Pinyin: zhè běn shū shéi xiǎng yào jiù gěi shéi ba .
Characters: 这本书谁想要就给谁吧。

I looked all through the chinese grammar wiki for this particular issue but couldn't find a solution (or maybe I overlooked something). I just find it strange how the two parts of the sentence are repeated. Hopefully somebody can help explain this to me! I would really appreciate the help! Is 就 the key, is repetition the key, or is both together?

Also I'm sorry about the weird formatting issues from copying from the program, I can't seem to remove the indentations.

Fixed.  On the post reply toolbar, second button from the left, there is an icon that looks like an eraser.  Highlight the text with the bad formatting, hit the eraser, and all formatting is removed.

• 3 years later...