Chinese-Forums

Diabetes in Chengdu

Dream-Walker

Hello,

I'm a diabetic person, can anyone tell me how easy/hard it is to get insulin in Chengdu? Diabete's quite popular, so I imagine it shouldn't be too hard to get insulin, but I have insulin pump and was wondering where can I get exuipment for it in Chengdu ( or China in general).

I would appreciate any help, maybe your friend had such a problem or you heard sth, anything really will be quite helpful.

Sorry, I know nothing about supplies for diabetics in China, except the general observation that while Chinese pharmacies and medical supplies stores seem well-stocked, every once in a while there's a gap, especially if you're looking for something compatible from a particular manufacurer. You'd need to post the brand and model number of what you have if you want much more than a general response; perhaps someone in Chengdu will look around a bit for you.

• Like 1

Just to take one of those companies, Medtronic has some sort of operation in China; there's a link to an email address at the lower right of the page, but it doesn't seem to be particularly for China customers. In any event, you could contact each of these companies directly and ask what's available in China.

http://www.medtronicdiabetes.com.cn/about/12.html

I don't know about the specific requirements for your pump, but insulin is widely available. You'll be able to use a pen to inject if you cannot find the cartridges for your pump.

If you speak Chinese, here is a list of Primary Hospitals in Chengdu, pick one give them a call or pay a visit. If you don't speak Chinese, ask someone to help you. Before making the call, make sure you are aware the Chinese version (names, brands) of the insulin you're using. 

http://www.hotelaah.com/yiyuan/sichuan_chengdu.html

If you can't find anyone speaks Chinese, try call this number and ask for help:  028-85412023 , it's the College of Foreign Languages and Cultures Sichuan Univercity.

Well, that's something :wink:  at last resort I could always get my equipment mailed from home, but it wouldn't work with insulin, so it's more than ok. Do you buy it in pharmacies or in hospitals? I heard that in order to get insulin I have to go to hospital?