Chinese-Forums

Changing tastes in spirits

geraldc

I've noticed that there seems to be a growing trend in Hong Kong for whisky.

Previously where you'd have gifted someone a bottle or case of red wine, they're switching over to whisky/whiskey.

I'm wondering if this is a reaction to the mainlands new found love of red wine.

There has also been a large increase in consumption of whiskey in Mainland China as well. China is now a large import market for single malt whiskey and other luxury brands of whiskeys. Partly due to Chinese people becoming more affluent and general good branding so there is a higher demand for these type of products. I imagine some people will feel more suave giving a nice bottle of whisky away as a gift.

I'm even surprised to find my weChat feed is has pictures of many younger Chinese posing next to bottles of expensive alcohol in nightclubs. Something I hoped that would never reach China...

Yeah I've noticed an increasing love of whiskey in Beijing too. My friend also works for a Scottish whiskey company promoting the brand here and business is good. A lot of photos of lavish parties on wechat with vast quantities of expensive whisky on display and, of course, being drunk.

Whiskey & cocktail bars are big now in Beijing.  A new one opens every few weeks.  Single malts are easy to find and fairly popular.

Duty free shops in airports like Singapore are completely geared up to sell high end whiskey to mainland Chinese.  Sales are brisk.

But, it's not mainstream by any means.  Baijiu is still firmly #1.  Red wine is #2.  But nice whiskies are becoming better known & appreciated, by those who can afford them.

• 2 weeks later...
There has also been a large increase in consumption of whiskey in Mainland China as well. China is now a large import market for single malt whiskey and other luxury brands of whiskeys.

I saw Glenlivet 12 on the shelf at Carrefour this morning. (Kunming.)