Chinese-Forums

Z Visa - Taiwan Conundrum

Chi-nian

Hi, everybody!

I need your help. I know that there have been a lot of posts on obtaining Z visas, but my situation is a little different.

I am a Canadian who has been living in Taiwan for 11 years and I have accepted a job in China and so I need to get a Z visa for myself and S1 visas for my wife and two kids.
One problem lies in the fact that there is no Chinese embassy here in Taiwan.
Another problem is that there seems to have been a policy change that doesn't allow applications to be processed in HK anymore.
I have neither the time nor the money to fly back to Canada to apply.

What should I do?

There are agencies in Canada that arrange visas for you, but I'm worried because you are supposed to be in Canada when you apply.
One good thing is that there aren't any Taiwan visas stamped in our passports, but there are entry and exit stamps which someone (if so inclined) could use to figure out that we are still in Taiwan.

Aaarrggh - I'm so frustrated! Please help!

• 2 weeks later...

Out of curiosity, do you have a Taiwanese passport? (I dunno, you said you lived there for 11 years and don't have a visa, so I'm just guessting.)

You may be able to apply for a 台胞证, yes, even if you are not of Chinese ethnicity, as far as I understand, the system isn't designed to except non-ethnic Chinese with Taiwanese citizenship from applying, I guess because they just didn't expect it.

Hi Takeshi - no, I don't have a Taiwanese passport. I have an APRC which is a permanent live/work visa. There's nothing in my passport about it, but I have two visa cards.

Thanks for your response :)

• Like 1

Chi-nian,

Any update on your situation? I can empathize as I had to deal with this option when I was in Taiwan and wanted to come to China.

I'm wondering what sources are telling you that you can't apply in HK. I think it's pretty common for people to get China visas in HK. I haven't actually done this in a while, but from inside China, I haven't heard any news of this no longer being possible in HK.

Good luck, and drop an update if time allows!

Also interested that you're choosing to leave TW after 11 years!