Chinese-Forums

Resurrecting old threads

maigheann

How do users of Chinese-forums view resurrections of old threads?  Is it undesirable, or is it expected if you have something relevant to ask/add?  As a relatively new user, I want to ask if it better to resurrect an old thread or start a new one with almost the same topic?  For example, if I wanted to ask about the faux pas or social acceptability of hugging in China and found a semi-relevant thread called  "How to decline hugging politely" circa 2011 (which I did find in the Society sub-group), is it better to piggyback onto that or start a new topic?  Thanks!

• Like 3

Generally, you should revive old threads as long as you have something relevant to add, and it's on topic. Roddy can give you the official angle, but this community generally prefers having things organised instead of starting the same thread over and over again.

If it's different enough from older threads, it might be better to start a new one.

An exception to the reviving rule are "constructive" threads like "who's better, PRC vs. Taiwan" and "traditional or simplified: which one do you hate more". Mostly because nobody has anything relevant to add to those. Better let them lie dormant.

• Like 3

I think if it's relevant and on topic, then post in the existing thread.  If you feel the thread is similar, but not really, feel free to start a new thread, but maybe spend a sentence or two explaining that you found another thread and the reasons why your question belongs in its own one.

Admin with then either agree with you, or if not merge them together.

In short, new threads are free, so don't feel bad about creating new ones.  Do mention existing research and topics you have found to prevent the thread becoming people saying "We've discussed this already"

• Like 2

It depends quite a bit on the type of topic, as well. A 2010 topic on the best restaurants in Wudaokou is probably hugely out of date, a 2007 topic on Classical Chinese could still feature the latest research. Do what seems best and don't bump anything with an off topic or trivial post. We're not going to get annoyed over genuine attempts to participate and the worst case scenario is we merge a topic or something.

And everyone is positively encouraged to do this