Chinese-Forums

Taxes from montly stipend (of CGC-Scholarship Type A)?

Aleksei

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have been granted Chinese Government Scholarship Type A1 Doctoral Programs for pursuing PhD. This scholarship includes a monthly stipend 4000 yuans. Will I have to pay any taxes from this amount of money, or this salary isn't taxable?

Yours Faithfully

Unless it's a fellowship where the PhD candidate is officially employed by the university. I haven't seen it happen in China, don't worry. 

• Like 1

Angelina, the point is that in Finland, for example, PhD-students earn about 2000 euro/month, but they are compelled to pay an income tax 18% and 5% for social insurance. Seemingly, this is called "fellowship" in English, I didn't know, in my language there is no word equivalent to fellowship, only to salary and scholarship.

Yup, there are some countries in Europe, Finland included, where a PhD candidate can be seen as an employee from a legal perspective. This is not the case for China, you won't be asked to pay any taxes. Good luck!