Chinese-Forums

HSK 4, 5 and 6 Reading Materials

adam2073

I have been using shorts texts such as this one http://www.studyhsk.com/blog/studying-hard to really get to know the vocab in context. This site goes up to HSK 3. It would be great to have something similar where I could read things at a HSK 4, 5 or 6 level that are mostly written with just HSK words. HSK 4 reading is the level I'm most interested in right now.

The book series "new horizon college Chinese" are based on HSK vocab. It's just a normal textbook with texts, exercises and vocab lists. The vocab list also states which level of HSK it is. Book number 1 is HSK 4 , book 2 is HSK 5 ... Etc

http://www.amazon.cn/gp/aw/d/B00A63BY9W/ref=mp_s_a_1_cc_1?qid=1434417137&sr=8-1-catcorrπ=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=9787301212974

New Horizon Chinese is quite decent, if you're preparing for HSK4 it's a great tool. However, if you're aiming for 5 or 6, then I recommend you a non-HSK vocab approach, as in the reading part of 5-6 there are several words not included in the vocab list. After HSK4, you should be able to read news (of course, you still have to use a dictionary, that is perfectly OK), which will help you get better a LOT :)

Even for 5 and 6, New Horizon would still be a good resource to have. However, it shouldn't be the only one. As above, start to look at news articles and other authentic material if you can as well.