Chinese-Forums

Month long accomodation?

JSu

I'm planning on arrive in Beijing one month before my language program and was wondering what would be the best option for accomodation during this time. I plan to stay on campus when the semester starts.

Also if someone could point me in the right direction it'll be greatly appreciated.

I'm no expert about accommodation in Beijing, however: Beijing is pretty large. They have lots of different accommodations from dormitory-like hostels to 5 star hotels and homestays and possibly couchsurfing.

What are your geographical preferences and budget?

Also, are you aware of the visa to residence permit delays etc?

As above , BEIJING is massive. You need to indicate which University you're going to, do you want to stay near there? What's your budget?

I'd imagine you'd just have to negotiate a price with a hostel. Unless you've got a big budget and can afford a month in hotel.

Are you sure you can arrive that early with your visa?

Thank you for your responses.

I will be studying at Tsinghua University from September and am in the process of finalising my X2 Visa (<6months).

My total stay including the month of August is <180 Days (177). @ChTTAY When you say can I arrive that early do you mean this or something else?

@edelweis I was not aware of the visa to RP delays?  Do I have to organise it through university or would I be able to do it myself? While its something I should ask the coordinator, would the university be able to help me organise it before the semester actually starts?

I'm not particularly fussed at the types of accomodation.

I'm looking to have a home base for the month near the CBD so am after private room of sorts, be it couch surfing or room renting. Since I'll be new and don't know anobody I would prefer to have some housemates to ease into the new environment.

Budget wise I'm look at around 5000CNY for accomodation for that month. How far would this realistically go?

Angelina, I think you might be right. I seem to recall that I couldn't begin the 'residence permit' process until I'd registered at the University. In fact, they had an office I had to give my passport into.

So for the OP, you might not be able to arrive a month in advance of registration as you only have 30 days on that.

Worth asking your University.

"X2 Visa (<6months)."

X2 visa, as the OP indicates, is for periods of less than 180 days and does not require the holder to apply for a residence permit. You're thinking of the X1, which requires the holder to apply for the residence permit within 30 days of arrival. The X2 is one of the newer visa types, previously short term study would have been done on an F visa. 

That kind of short-term let is tricky - nobody wants to be finding new tenants or roommates every month, unless they're charging a premium for it. I'd look at ads on thebeijinger.com - you might find someone who's away for a month and wants to sublet, or someone who doesn't want a permanent roommate but could do with the extra cash. And place an ad yourself. However I'd also look at hostels or cheap hotels and see if you can negotiate a monthly deal. 

To be honest, if i was you (and my budget allowed) I'd spend a week in a hostel centrally, doing tourist stuff, then travel about for two weeks, then spend a week in a hostel nearer the university getting to know the area. 

It's also possible you could get into dorms, or some kind of university accommodation, early. 

Welcome to the site, JSu, do keep us updated on your adventures!

• Like 2