Chinese-Forums

What American snack foods do Chinese people especially like?

vellocet

I'm headed home for a visit next month and I'll have an empty suitcase coming back.  I plan on filling it with all manner of unhealthy snack foods.  Usually this is what I do before going back to America - go spend several hundred yuan on junk food and bring it back for friends.  I used to love grossing people out with sea cucumber jerky and such, but these days I just bring Chinese snacks that I know Americans like already.  I'd like to do the same thing, but in reverse.  Bring a ton of things my Chinese friends will actually like, instead of one taste and everyone having a laugh about it.

What American snack foods do Chinese people especially like?  I would think a lot of my favorites, like Cornnuts and Wheat Thins wouldn't be favored, due to the fact that they are heavily grain-flavored.  Pork rinds maybe?  I suppose we're only talking about savory snacks, as anything sweet would be far too strong for Chinese.  Baked goods like Twinkies would be out. 

My Chinese friends just appreciate good milk chocolate. The Herseys / Dove you get here sucks. Of course, you can buy a lot of imported chocolate here now but as a gift it would still be appreciated. Especially if it was local somehow (and/or unavailable in China) and also good.

Watch out for flavours that are normal for you but would be weird for Chinese people. I gave my girlfriend some "salt and vinegar" crisps from the UK. Last staple flavour back home. She thought it was bizarre having vinegar crisps and found them disgusting. It seems cucumber flavour is fine though...

A few years ago when I went back to the UK, I went to M&S and bought a fair few packs of cookies and other sweets. To be honest, it's not always the fact that they are something 'new' or 'different' that makes them 'valued' its more that the taste and quality is better (not always but when buying nice gifts it usually is!)

Thinking about this again... I'd be tempted to move away from snack foods into other small gifts. In particular, if you're struggling to think of American snack foods that Chinese people will actually like - or at least think of 'enough' of them.

I'm sure your friends would appreciate something more 'local' to you. For example, a key ring/chain from your city/town or a major attraction near your home town. You can buy decorative towels, coasters and other 'homewares' or look for t-shirts and stuff. Don't look for anything too expensive but something like a key chain would be a longer lasting symbol of your friendship than some candy. Also, this kind of thing will definitely not be available in China but whatever snacks you buy are probably availalbe on taobao anyway - or might be one day soon!

For really good friends you could look at bringing back some famous whisky or other spirit from around the area.

I'm trying to think what they DO like and garlic mashed potatoes are always a huge hit at our house. "How do you make this??? Can I eat more? I want to make it at my house!!!"

Not exactly a snack you can bring back in your suitcase though!!!