Chinese-Forums

What are your preferred settings in the Pleco Flashcard app?

Milkybar_Kid

Hi,

I recently purchased the Flashcards add-on for Pleco and am very impressed by all of its features. However there are so many settings and choices that I really don’t know which ones are best for me. So far I have set up my preferences so that I am presented with the Chinese characters, and then I have to select the pronunciation followed by the definition.

What is your preferred method of testing? I am preparing for the HSK test in August and would appreciate your input on the best way to use this app.

Thanks

I describe how I have configured my flashcards here.

Basically, three different profiles - one for newly added cards which just has everything shown all at once and is used for learning the words. 'Revision' which has pinyin on the front and chinese characters and meaning on the back, and 'Pronunciation' which has characters on the front and pinyin and chinese meanings on the back.

Do want to learn to write characters or is it just characters and their meanings?

I usually use multiple choice and prompt for Pronunciation and Definition and show Character for general study and revision.

I also like fill in the blank prompting for handwritten characters because I am learning to write as a main part of my learning. I also like fill in the blanks prompting for pinyin and showing characters and definition.

I also use review when I start a new word list, which I do for each lesson (NPCR) I work through a few of the different show choices depending on what I feel is lacking at that time for that lesson.

I really like the stroke order test because as I say I am learning to write.

I suggest you make a small 5 or 6 character category and try all the possible permutations and see what helps you.

One tip I would offer is don't make your categories too long, as I said earlier I make a new category for each lesson, I find it helps stop it becoming overwhelming. You can always review old categories at any time.

Pleco is a very powerful app and it does take some time to make full use of its many settings and profiles.

I don't change the what is on the cards, you can do this so if you are not happy with them the way they are you can change it, I just add them to my category straight from the dictionary.

It is important not to spend too much time preparing to study and more time actually studying :)

The instruction manual is also very good, have a read through it.

Its not like skritter,  you get a character on screen and you have to touch the screen at each new stroke point.

To actually practice writing with pleco I use the fill in the blanks test and prompt for handwritten characters and show pronunciation and definition.

If you are interested in pleco have a look at their website and download the free version and see if you like it. Stroke order is an addon so is not in the free version.

http://www.pleco.com/