Chinese-Forums

Qingdao Packing List

Holly93

I am about to go to Qingdao for a year to study Mandarin. For those of you who have studied abroad in China before, what did you guys take? What are somethings you didn't that you wish you had packed and some that you wished you had not? Thanks!

Well, these days you can get almost anything in China. If it's hard to find in the shops, you can almost certainly buy it off the internet.

Clothes are probably the main things, especially if you wear plus sizes. And medications if you need any.

I'd suggest bringing as little as possible, especially things you are going to take back home. You'll probably accumulate quite a lot of stuff over the year, so you won't want to be carrying dead weight, otherwise returning home will be a hassle.

I'll respectfully disagree with anonymoose on this one. People told me the same thing before I came here, but getting things even in Beijing was either much more expensive or a hassle to get. And buying off the internet means having a Chinese bank card or credit card, being able to read Chinese, being able to speak to the driver if he calls etc

Of course you can get help from a friend but from my view it was much easier to just bring it. 

I went back to London a few weeks ago with an empty case and brought back a pile of things like dry packet sauces, mens deodorant, razors, jeans (I take 36 )

Also I see very few western products that are anyway near the same price here. Depends if saving cash is important to you. For example. I bought back 5 tubs of illy Coffee, £5 in London £12 equivalent here £7x5 = £35 straight away, Extra case is £40 on Finnair. Face creams cosmetics are more expensive, can save a lot of that

i am referring mainly to consumables here, I do agree of sparingly bring clothes. I overdid it

Oh yes, I definitely recommend bringing you own extension lead, its useful if you have a lot of devices from home

• Like 1

True, buying off the internet is a hassle if you don't read Chinese. But personally, there was nothing that I needed in China that I couldn't get in China. 

I took the view that its easy to dump it into the case before you come and the saving warrants paying for extra case. For me it was a 1 hour trip to the supermarket and done, 6 months of shaving foam, razors, toiletries, coffee, chocolate, and packets of Coleman's recipe mixes (if your from the UK)

But yeah I think almost everything can be got here now so unlikely to be caught short. I have even seen some Irish products that I rarely see in England!

As a curvy female who does weight lifting, CLOTHES!!! I was in China for a month 2 years ago and wanted a cute top as a souvenir.. I'm like a XXL in Chinese sizes apparently!

I'm going to a smaller city come August and clothing is my number 1 concern.. then my brand specific make-up and skin care. Other than that, I can just get it there.

Thanks for the suggestion about the extension lead.

That's a good one. Ironically, I've brought a couple of chinese extension leads back to the UK out of the same consideration.

I recently purchased a 10cm memory foam mattress topper online for 750rmb and it's fantastic.  Single bed topper is around 350rmb.  I regret not doing this in Qingdao, as i spent 3 years sleeping on an awful mattress (it didn't seem like it at the time) that ruined my back.

• Like 1

Sitting in a coffee shop on Qingdao at the moment. Came here on Friday. It's not a bad city actually. I kind of like. Hope you do to Holy. I have seen about 4 foreigners all weekend and haven't met anyone that speaks English, which makes a refreshing change from Beijing. I have had to speak Chinese which is painful but good practice.

Hi Holly, no no I just went there for a holiday. Personally I think your making a good choice., its too easy to revert back to English in Beijing in my opinion.  I would like to go to a private language school in Qingdao but I can't find any one that can give an X1 Visa. And as I am about a 100years old a university is not for me :)

shame