Chinese-Forums

陌生的朋友

xuechengfeng

I'll just use this as a running thread of help. I started watching the movie 陌生的朋友 for my Chinese study this summer, and since I am doing it with no teachers, I will need some help on a few points. :wink:

還有﹖少抽煙。 Does this just mean "And also..? Smoke a few cigarettes."

甚麼亂七八糟的 "What a mess?" And if this is right, what is the "de" needed at the end?

你這個見面熟的毛病就不能改一改﹖ "Are you not able to change this shortcoming of treating someone you just meet as an old acquaintance?"

我怎麼看你好面熟﹐好像在那兒見過。 "Why do I see you as so familiar, it seems I've seen you somewhere before." -----------> I am mainly confused about the "zenme"

不買臥鋪﹐三分之一錢歸自己﹐這樣一來﹐臥鋪不緊張了個人也多少撈點兒。 NO CLUE :wall

>>還有﹖少抽煙。

(sorry, I used simplified)

还有 sort of means "you still have/doing that?" Then, 少抽烟...少 is used as a verb, meaning "do less of”in a commanding way. (ex. 少穿一点衣服,外面太热!Wear a bit less clothes, its really hot outside.)

>>甚麼亂七八糟的

the 的,I figure has the same usage as in the 是...的. Structure to indicate infasis. Though in this example, 是 isn't used, I think its implied and has the same emphasis effect.

>>你這個見面熟的毛病就不能改一改﹖

I think that 见面熟 refers to the 病. So, its refering to the commonly seen sickness, rather than some outside person. In all its questioning why can't the common sickness be improved? (I don't know the sentence's context, so it could be referring to some person).

>>怎么

I'd say its attatched at the front of the sentence to make it rhetorical sounding maybe even meaning a realization. Its like saying in English "Why didn't I do this before?" The "why" doesn't mean you're really asking yourself...you just say it because you had a realization.

Little mixed up about the botton myself..it is classical Chinese and may have a clue what its saying, but I don't want to give you misinformation. (Chinese is a language where you feel you never can know everything about since its so complex in someways!)

Have fun studying Chinese movies...I've got a few Chinese DVDs to watch myself.

Let me try / guess (since the context is missing) ...

還有﹖少抽煙。 Does this just mean "And also..? Smoke a few cigarettes."

-> I imagine that one is first offered something, like tea, and then offered the cigarettes. So it would mean "again? no, thanks, I seldom smoke." 少抽煙 is a polite way to decline the cigarettes.

甚麼亂七八糟的 "What a mess?" And if this is right, what is the "de" needed at the end?

-> I guess "的" is the short form of "的東西". This is similar to wtf, I guess.

你這個見面熟的毛病就不能改一改﹖ "Are you not able to change this shortcoming of treating someone you just meet as an old acquaintance?"

-> yes, right.

我怎麼看你好面熟﹐好像在那兒見過。 "Why do I see you as so familiar, it seems I've seen you somewhere before." -----------> I am mainly confused about the "zenme"

-> yes, right. "zenme" here means "why".

不買臥鋪﹐三分之一錢歸自己﹐這樣一來﹐臥鋪不緊張了個人也多少撈點兒。

-> Not buying the ticket for a sleeping berth, I will keep one third of the money. By so doing, the sleeping car will be less crowded with one person less, and I can get to keep some money.

See if you can understand by some examples:

甚麼(電影), 不三不四的

甚麼(話), 不清不楚的

甚麼(鬼東西/地方), 亂七八糟的

and all in ( ) could be put to the end of the sentences alternatively.

我怎麼看來看去看不懂

我怎麼想來想去, 好像一點兒都記不起來

thanks for help so far.. skylee, to put a few in context --

剛才我跟你說的﹐都記住了﹖

記住了。

說說。

經常寫信﹐三天一封。

ng.還有呢﹖

還有﹖少抽煙。

ng?

不﹐不。不抽煙。一支不許抽﹐對不﹖

----------------------------------------------

還有﹖

ng?

哎唷。

忘了﹖不要亂交朋友。甚麼亂七八糟的﹐出一趟差就認識一大群。你這個見面熟的毛病就不能改一改﹖

還有呢﹖

還有﹖少抽煙。

Then -> "And?" "And? Smoke less cigarettes."

忘了﹖不要亂交朋友。甚麼亂七八糟的﹐出一趟差就認識一大群。

Then "的" refers to "朋友".

NEW PROBLEM -- as for context, this is referring to the 戒煙糖 Du Qiu's wife bought for his train ride.

甚麼寶貝﹐值得跑來跑去的買﹖哎呀﹐真有意思﹗你看看。

That's the main question I have, my guess would be:

What a treasure, she ran back and forth to buy something valuable. Aiya, very interesting! (You) Take a look.

Not having followed this thread, but I'd hazrd a guess that a decent translation of that could be:

"Is it such a precious thing that it was worth all that running around just to buy it? Ey, that's really something. Take a look"

Not having followed this thread' date=' but I'd hazrd a guess that a decent translation of that could be:

"Is it such a precious thing that it was worth all that running around just to buy it? Ey, that's really something. Take a look"[/quote']

thanks now that i think about it that sounds much more right :lol:

同生注意地看著姑娘。

Tongsheng is noticeably staring at the woman. (Mostly confused about 地看著 part)

怎麼﹐學好了﹖廠裡找你談過了﹖你知道那個案子是怎麼回事嗎﹖那是我們幹的。

What, you've reformed? Have the factory officials found and talked to you yet? Do you know what the result is of that legal case? (Very confused on what 那是我們幹的。 would mean)

姑娘氣得站起來。

:help

我們這麼幹不是為了那幾個錢。大夥兒瞧你挺受罪的﹐幾次叫你都不回來﹐沒辦法才想了這麼一招。這回﹐你總該回來了吧﹖

Like this we won't have to work for that money. Everybody sees your rought conditions, they've all told you several times not to return, but when you had no method, only did you think of this move. You think it's best that you should eventually return? (I know, I know, this is pathetic.)

-------

I'm considering giving up, someone encourage me and tell me these are hard. :wall

These are hard. You are doing very well, and we are all impressed with your progress. Happy now?

The first one could be something like Tong Sheng concentratedly stared at the woman - ie, he was staring / gazing, not just glancing.

Second one, I think you've pretty much got it. The last parts I think should be something like 'You know what really happened with that case? It was us, we did it'

The girl stood up angrily / was so angry she stood up

We aren't doing this for the (small amount of) money. (someone?) thinks you've been hard done by. They've told you to come back several times, but you haven't. We didn't have any other choice so we tried this. So you'll come back now, won't you?

O.P = roddy:These are hard. You are doing very well, and we are all impressed with your progress. Happy now?

Lol :lol:.

O.P = xuechengfeng: 同生注意地看著姑娘。

Tongsheng is noticeably staring at the woman. (Mostly confused about 地看著 part)

"Tong sheng carefully/concentratedly stared at the woman."

著 here indicates not a state of action, but a prepositional phrase.

地 only indicates that 注意 is here acting as an adverb.

O.P = roddy:

The girl stood up angrily / was so angry she stood up

I think it can only be the last one, right? If it were the first one, you would need a different de5. Or rearange the sentence from 姑娘氣得站起來。to 姑娘站起來得氣。

nipponman

現在通過檢查評比﹐你們五號車廂紅旗車廂。

Mostly confused about those two, especially "bei."

My guess would be "We passed through to examine and compare and assess. Railroad car #5 was judged and is the Red-flag coach."

I'm also confused about this:

本次列車

通过 here just means 'after' or 'through'.

So

After examination and comparison, your Carriage No.5 has been selected as Red Flag Carriage

Presumably being the Red Flag Carriage is some kind of award.

本 can mean 'this'. 本公司 is used in business correspondence for 'us, this company'. 次 refers to the train number, so 本次列车 is just 'this train'. You'll hear this in train announcements, ie 本次列车开往 。 。 。 this train is going to . . .

Oh, and these are still hard, you are still doing very well, and we are still impressed with your progress.

Oh' date=' and these are still hard, you are still doing very well, and we are still impressed with your progress.[/quote']

你有很好笑的看法。 :mrgreen: 我有別的問題。。。

穿制服的乘警走過來的時候﹐杜丘和年青人正吵得不可開交。

I saw that "Dang" could mean "when," so in this context, is it being used in some form of construct I haven't learned where it is 當。。。的時候﹖

To me, this seems like it says, "When a uniformed police officer came over, Du Qiu and the young person just (began being) locked in a quarrel."