Jump to content
Learn Chinese in China

X-2 Visa length of stay


Recommended Posts

  • New Members



I have recently been accepted for a 4 month scholarship at Chongqing University and have just recieved my visa documents. Theres a couple of things I want to know before i go ahead an book fights and stuff.


Q1. With an X-2 visa, how long can i enter before the period of study starts? I plan to get there 3 weeks early to travel and catch up with friends


Q2. Is there any such thing as a 4 month X-2 visa or will i be given a 6 monther? I plan to do a bit of travelling after Ive finished my course aswell.


any help would be greatly appreciated.



Link to post
Share on other sites
Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.


As no one has responded yet, I was under the impression you only had 15 days from the date of entry before you need to go register with your school etc


Your X visa should match up to your semester so you wouldn't get much extra time once the semester has finished. The University might be able to help you get a tourist L visa once your X has finished. My University would do this for you...

Link to post
Share on other sites

As I understand it 


Q1: It will be up to the embassy to issue what they decide. Anyone I know just got a visa coinciding with the dates on the JW201/2 form and just matched the study dates. You can ask your university / language school for some leeway. I did but only got a week


Q2: The 6 months is the maximum stay, not a set period. My fellow students are on X2 visas but only covers the period they are actually registered for study give or take a few days. Maybe some language schools will give you a form to say you will be studying for 2 3 weeks more than you actually are. The whole X2 Visa  issue seems a little negotiable from my investigations here. When I inquire about this its usually, "you can talk directly to the boss", so appears that schools may be willing to stretch it a bit. Given half of them are empty, I think you may be able to negotiate  


Now different embassies locations may relax it a bit. For example I was told that its harder to obtain a visa in the London Embassy than the Manchester Embassy in the UK


Finally this is what I am lead to believe. I could have this all wrong so wait until the more knowledge people come on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...
  • New Members



I get x2 one entry visa. I study mandarin in a private school. 6 months almost ends and I need to go back to my country to apply new visa. 


do you know any private schools provide JW202/JW201 so I can get 1 year X1 visa so I dont need to go to my country every 6 months?


waiting your reply 


thank you

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

I am going to study in China next year for one semester. I asked for 180 days and just go my X2 visa with 180 days, while my total study length is around 110 days. So I guess it depends on your Embassy and on what you ask for!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Chinese embassy in Hong Kong would only give 150-day X2 visa even though I asked for 180-day X2 visa because on my JW202 notice it said my study period is February-July which they count as 5 months because they count from the middle of February to the middle of July. Welcome to China.


They also only gave me a single entry X2 visa.


So, fyi, the chinese embassy in Hong Kong seems quite strict with these things.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and select your username and password later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Click here to reply. Select text to quote.

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...