Chinese-Forums

What's the correct way to write 儿话 in pinyin?

Milkybar_Kid

you2 dian3 er

This is wrong.  As per the rules of pinyin, pinyin should not include tone sandhi.  Also, because 有点 is classed as a word, you shouldn't have spaces between 'you' 'dian' and 'er'. 

Finally, if you were going to write 'er' rather than just appending 'r', then as per the rules of apostrophes, it would be yǒudiǎn'er.

You just add "r" to the end, as Hofmann said. It's not complicated, but even some native speakers who are not accustomed to adding 兒化 will pronounce the full syllable like "xiǎohái...ér" and it is so odd to me.

I guess one can also pinyin 西安, 第二 etc as Xian, dier.
You can also write England as Inglend but you would be writing it wrong. Same for *dier or *Ji'nan or *ganen or any other sort of misspelled pinyin. 'Xian' is all the more serious because you need to differentiate between 先 and 西安.

Well in the case of Xī'ān vs xiān it wouldn't actually be ambiguous if you exclude the apostrophe (Xīān vs xiān), at least if you include tone marks and capitalize properly, however it is still wrong to exclude the the apostrophe!

The proper way to write 第二 in pinyin is dì-èr.

People who write books about things Chinese aimed at a foreign audience (I once did editing work on a book by someone who insisted on 'Ji'nan' and the like). Newspapers, including those who should know better (a certain newspaper in Taiwan insisted on writing 'Suao'). People in China writing Chinese in Latin characters (once saw a bank statement saying someone had withdrawn money in Shanxi when he was in fact in Shaanxi. The name of the director of the play I went the other day was written 'Dien'). Lots and lots of people write pinyin and many of them make mistakes. And although this will continue to annoy me, it's fortunately not important in the grand scheme of things.

once saw a bank statement saying someone had withdrawn money in Shanxi when he was in fact in Shaanxi.

But in correct pinyin, both 山西 and 陕西 are Shanxi...