Chinese-Forums

9 wks Kunming where to stay?

alwayslol

Since it's so difficult to get information and plan ahead for a class, I'm planning on just landing in Kunming, visiting Yunnan U. Yunnan Normal U. and Kunming Eastern Languages and Culture College and figure out who's got a small group beginner class starting around July 11. However, I'm concerned about where I can stay for about 9 weeks. Does anyone have any recommendations? Or how about a place to stay even for a few days while I find another one? I need inexpensive lodging, but not necessarily bottom of the barrel.

Thanks for any suggestions.

• 7 years later...

I'm doing basically the same thing for four weeks at about the same time as you. I've been living in GZ for over a year now though.

I stayed at the Camellia in January and found it quite pleasant, though a bit pricey for long term at around 120 per night for a single (including breakfast). I didn't care for the Hump too much, though it's a good source of info. Prices are about the same unless you get a dorm of course, the Camellia more comfortable imo, but you may like the fun and excitement at the Hump scene (I'm nearly 50- a bit too much for me).

Since I'm also heading to Xishuangbanna for two weeks, my options I think are for a local hotel that will give me a two-week 'deal.' As soon as I plan my trip I'll post what the Camellia said. I'd be quite happy for 80 a night for a single in Kunming, 40 in Xingshuangbanna. Yes, I'm sure that's doable.

I will start lessons in March however, hopefully at Yunnan U., though I'll be checking on the others schools just like you. It would be great if we can meet up and exchange info. I'm going to Xinshuangbanna btw to conduct a language survey.

If you'd like to know anything more about my last 'winter' trip, just send me a line. I have good tips on saving money, getting around, etc., but little info on the schools- everything was closed!