Chinese-Forums

Taiwanese pop

Ian_Lee

I have also read another article from the China Times that unlike Mandarin pop song singers in Taiwan, those Taiwanese pop song singers have a hard time on the island. Many cannot afford to produce their albums (or the Music companies are not interested) and can hardly make a living.

It seems the revival of Taiwanese language will face many hurdles despite official encouragement from the DPP administration.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not particularly surprised at this. One reason is that the Mandarin music market is WAY bigger than the Taiwanese/Hokkien market - particularly in mainland China. There are more opportunities to promote and sell music there.

Another reason is that possibly, most Taiwanese are more fluent in Mandarin than in Hokkien/Minnanyu, not mentioning Taiwan's diversity in languages and dialects (e.g. Hakka, Aboriginal).

And yes, I think most Taiwanese are more open-minded than A'Bian. Regardless of whether they want to revive the so-called Taiwanese language or not, the usage of Mandarin will still be important for the island's cultural, economic and political future. But there are a lot of other ways to revive a language.