Chinese-Forums

RARE DUAL Chinese and U.S Citizenship, PLEASE HELP.

baobao1314

I'll probably get some crap for this but here it goes...

I really hope you resolved this issue legally. Here's why:

For those who are really serious about this matter, don't bother asking me because I mean, who am I, just a stranger on the internet.

Despite your unusual circumstances, you essentially went on a public forum and solicited advice for skirting Chinese law. This isn't necessarily a problem assuming anonymity. But you're NOT a stranger on the internet. To test this, in two minutes I found your Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Youtube, Prezi, Myspace, Pinterest etc, etc, etc. 

I assume those working for the Chinese government lurk on these boards. Its a great resource to understand a large population of foreign visitors to China. Therefore, its reasonable to assume somebody working in Beijing could read this post and flag you for questioning when entering the country. I would only travel with your American passport for that reason.

The Chinese government is never afraid to make examples of people. The amount of money just pouring out of China right now is reason enough to be cautious of people with dual citizenship. Just look here at those foreign tourists in Inner Mongolia who were detained for two days without charge or legal representation because they were watching a "terrorist propaganda" video in their hotel room. 

I'm not trying to scare you. Just be more careful. As soon as you read this, I would change all of your online privacy settings and work towards more anonymity for your online footprint. 

I'm choosing to keep this comment public instead of a private message so others can learn from it. 

Best of luck and make sure you respect the law.

• Like 2

I think you underestimate how common this is. There are countless Chinese with dual citizenship who don't resolve the matter and simply enter the country in one of the before mentioned ways. The Chinese government itself is not really pushing the matter maybe because they are afraid of making people decide between a US and a Chinese passport... So in short, as in so many cases in China there is a law but it isn't properly enforced. 

This question has been discussed in many, many other places on the internet by people who can just as easily be identified... and if you dig a little deeper you will even find stories of government official's spouses and offspring with foreign citizenship...  :wink: So no reason to be paranoid about it. 

I understand and I agree there is no need to be paranoid. I imagine the number of people in China with dual US citizenship alone is in the the tens of thousands (just a guess). But I wouldn't want to knowingly forfeit personal information that could be used against me at a later date; the OP showed a lot of emotional attachment to this issue. That's why I worded that post so strongly. However, I realize other people are not as protective. 

• Like 1

maybe because they are afraid of making people decide between a US and a Chinese passport.

No they're not, because even if the person chooses the U.S. passport, the Chinese government will still treat them as Chinese if they are caught in China doing something the government doesn't want them to do (has happened in recent years to a number of Chinese with Australian passports).

Just curious, how much were you able to find out from my social media sites? I'm pretty sure I set them all to private so only friends can see. 

In addition, I realized that no one use their real name on here. I wonder if there's a way for me to change my username. 

Some people use their real names here (e.g. both Roddy and myself). Send one of us a PM with your preferred new name and we'll sort it out.

Just curious, how much were you able to find out from my social media sites?

If you do a Google search for your name you'll see. It looks like someone could put together quite a bit of personal information about you. It's not all in one place, but take a piece here and a piece there and you can get a more detailed picture.

Mibao: Thanks for coming back and answering my question. You mentioned that you kept your Chinese citizenship. Are you now a Chinese citizen without a Chinese passport then? Could you tell us a bit more about that? I'm curious as to how this works.

"I assume those working for the Chinese government lurk on these boards. Its a great resource to understand a large population of foreign visitors to China. Therefore, its reasonable to assume somebody working in Beijing could read this post and flag you for questioning when entering the country. I would only travel with your American passport for that reason."

I think that's highly unlikely. Never seen any evidence in over ten years that anyone is paying that kind of attention - either here or on any other sites. We *might* be included in some kind of digest of 'foreign opinion on the Internet', but I'm massively sceptical that feeds into law enforcement. Would love to hear if anyone knows differently though, email me at roddy@psb.cn

Just curious, how much were you able to find out from my social media sites?

Do a search for yourself and see..... However a search engine is just for the plain folks, There is a lot more information out there that's a little below the surface. All large websites collect userinfo to some extent and a lot of this is accesable for authorities. Through legal procedures, backdoors and old school hacking. It's not unreasonable to assume that if it's on the internet it's accessable for the authorities.

Sure, no reason to be paranoid, but there are very good reasons to be cautious about what you publish on the internet. 

roddy@psb.cn

:lol:

this is so off topic, but you guys can delete yourselves off of google search to an extent if you contact google webmaster. Just google :how do delete yourself off of google search. 

It's a lengthy process, but you can get it done. But for the pros, I don't think it will make a difference. 

I'm never paranoid about this kind of stuff, thanks for the concerns guys!!