Chinese-Forums

Shanghai University of Finance and Economics

JacekB

• New Members
Hi guys, I've been accepted at the Shanghai University of Finance and Economics for the english-taught M.A. in finance and I got few questions regarding the teaching quality as nothing shows up on their website.

- Is the teaching style pratical (projects, case studies) or formal essay style? 

- Is the program designed for academic purpose or for pratice? (for ex, there is a course on exchange rate mechanism, will that course speak about Market Pressure and broad stuffs seen at undergraduate level or will they cover technical and fundamental analysis in more depth?

- Is the program hard to complete or quite easy?

- Do the teacher have a good level of English? (I read on the Internet that it may be an issue for Chinese Universities). 

These are my main concerns :) However, if someone is studying that program or knows someone studying it, I'd be more than glat to have a private conversation :). Thank's in advance! :)

As I never participated in a Master's program in China, I can  

- Is the teaching style pratical (projects, case studies) or formal essay style? 

Chinese universities are notorious for not being practical at all. You probably have to write a lot of essays, and it is possible that your "exam" will also be an essay written at home.

- Is the program designed for academic purpose or for pratice? (for ex, there is a course on exchange rate mechanism, will that course speak about Market Pressure and broad stuffs seen at undergraduate level or will they cover technical and fundamental analysis in more depth?)

Unless there are classes taught by foreign professionals (which is highly unlikely, as it is a master's degree and not an MBA), then the program will be mostly theoretical. BtW, degree programs, and especially finance is always about putting extra time in topics you're interested in. You want to learn more fundamental analysis? There are tons of good books about it. You want to understand M&A and investment banking? Read about it yourself.

- Is the program hard to complete or quite easy?

Do not miss classes, submit your homeworks/paper on time, and it will be a piece of cake, considering it is an English-taught programme (Chinese-taught programmes can be painful because you have to memorize characters for the exam).

- Do the teacher have a good level of English? (I read on the Internet that it may be an issue for Chinese Universities). 

As most teachers are non-native speakers, their level of English vary.

Just curious, why choose a English taught MA degree in Finance in China? For the course or life experience too?

I have been around the finance world for many years so curious as to you choose China. Where are you from anyway?

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...