Chinese-Forums

Can simplified script apply on Cantonese?

Ian_Lee

Does anybody notice that Cantonese (or some other dialects) sounds funny under simplified script?

Putonghua has 4 tones while Cantonese has 9. Some words in Putonghua share the same pronounciation with entirely different meanings. But for these words, Cantonese has different pronounciations.

But those scholars in Beijing simplifed the written script based on Putonghua.

For instance, in Putonghua, the first characters in "Orchid" and "Basketball" have the same sound. So under the simplified script, the "Basket" is deleted and replaced by a simplifed-strokes "Orchid".

"Basketball" becomes "Orchid Ball" under the simplified script!

But in Cantonese, the first characters in "Orchid" is pronounced as "Lan" while that of "Basketball" as "Nam"!

Ian, I think you've got the wrong idea.

In simplified Chinese some characters with the same pronounciation in Putonghua are combined into one, such as 后 and 後 are combined into 后, and 奸 and 姦 are combined into 奸. But this is done without regard to Cantonese whatsoever. This is why there is a confusion in the case of 籃球, because 蘭 and 籃 do not share the same pronounciation in Cantonese. You can look at it this way - the simplified character for 蘭 (can't type simplified characters now) has two pronounciations in Cantonese, lan and lam.

But just as Quest says, both Putonghua and Cantonese can be written in both simplified and traditional Chinese characters. The scripts do not affect the pronounciations.

• 2 weeks later...

One Simplified Chinese character that I hate most is 只,

it was modified from two Trad Chinese characters, 只 and 隻, they share the same Mandarin pronunciation, though with a very different meaning. Another one is what 后 and 後.

• 3 months later...

FYI, 兰 was the simplied version for 藍 (blue) also, but when they found there's confusion in 兰花 (orchid) & 兰(藍)花 (blue flowers), this simplification is aborted, now 藍's simplified script is 蓝, i think this is one of the ridiculous simplification in 二簡方案 that got aborted

When I was in south China I noticed that quite some young people do not want to learn and speak their own dialects. Even in Guangzhou the Cantonese is threatened.

A grave concern. A lot of Chinese culture and heritage is preserved in the dialects.

When I was in south China I noticed that quite some young people do not want to learn and speak their own dialects. Even in Guangzhou the Cantonese is threatened.

A grave concern. A lot of Chinese culture and heritage is preserved in the dialects.

flooding migrants! grrr

I mean they are free to come, but don't move the whole town over!

• 5 weeks later...