Chinese-Forums

New-style "chengyu"

Demonic_Duck

I think they would be considered "internet slang", would they not? I think creative use of language is always more interesting than simply replicating the same old words over and over. Someone had to make up the words you use today and it's likely someone sat in a field somewhere not being able to stand at least a few of them.

• Like 1

I think creative use of language is always more interesting than simply replicating the same old words over and over. 

I agree but new words do not have to be made this way. We have hundreds of new words that go to dictionaries each year. The difference is that most of them follow rules of how Chinese words are usually made whereas the internet slang expressions Duck posted tend to be a random combination of four characters from a complete sentence.

That being said, it's 無傷大雅 for 插科打諢 purposes.

Languages change all the time, not only when it comes to new vocabulary, it also means new word (or phrase) formation rules being used. This is interesting, very unique. However, we are not sure how widespread it is.

All change starts when someone breaks the rules and comes up with a new, both strange and hip, language. Some of the changes stay that way, some of them become accepted by a larger community.

It is good to know this exists. Not sure if we should use it because its use looks restricted, at least for now.

• Like 2

They are mostly used in some internet forums to joke around. 

I am of the opinion that most of them won't have a long life span because they have a fatal problem, lack of logic. Take the first word 十動然拒 for example, I can't, even in my wildest dreams, expect 十 = 十分, 動 = 感動, and 然 = 然後. It also puzzles me why I should refuse someone's request if I was moved.

Edit:

Also by themselves, these slang words are not complete in senses they are intended to express. You have to mentally add what is missing there to understand them. This is also fatal.

And yet people who are in the know will understand exactly what's going on. Same with these. Despite literally only having seen 十动然拒 maybe once(?), after learning what each character stands for, I have not forgotten, despite the logic. There are many "illogical" things about Chinese that are also already so pervasive that I don't know that it is likely we will see the decline of these because of their internal logic. For example, you really dislike the idea of 我讨厌他 meaning "I dislike him" because of what 讨 means, and the usage goes against the supposed logic of the word... and yet it is so pervasive that it really is just natural speech now for most people. I don't expect to see it disappear anytime soon either.

I haven't heard of 十動然拒 either, but it seems logical to me; even though one can be moved by a single act (e.g. somebody spending their whole month's salary to buy flowers for you), they might still not accept someone for a long-term relationship (not being careful with one's income can be a negative).

Or perhaps the 十分感動 is meant as 反話 and the target is not really moved despite one's extensive effort.

All of these are generally used for humorous effect and contain a good dose of irony. Kenny's right that they won't see the light of the 现代汉语词典 any time soon (probably never, but you never know).

I don't think lack of immediately evident logic is "fatal" to a word, phrase or chengyu. “塞翁失马” is still going strong, despite the fact that knowing the meanings of “塞”、“翁”、“失” and “马” won't make its meaning clear to you. You need to know the story for it to make sense. The same is true of “十动然拒”.

However, as with most 网络用语, all of these were created as throwaway memes, and I think their creators themselves would be as surprised as anyone if they were still being used in 50 years.