Chinese-Forums

New-style "chengyu"

Demonic_Duck

It's a bit bizarre that you would even mention UK tabloids if you don't have any knowledge of them... What does that lack of imagination mean to the discussion?

Please read what I said again:

I did not claim; the word I used was 'imagine'. Anyway, I didn't read British tabloids often so I didn't really know. But what about the BBC?

I read the Daily Mail and the Mirror sometimes. In my limited experiences, I have come across few vulgar slang words, i.e. the sort of words like stupid cunt, in them. At least, it is fairly safe to say that they use such words far less extensively than the mainland Chinese media on the whole.

As for "respectable" news sources using slang, it is a matter of style and I don't think it is always crass just because the language used is not of a high enough prestige. 

Could you give me a few examples of the BBC or the Times using such words as - I really hate having to say these, 屌絲, 二屄(二逼), 逗屄(逗比), 牛屄(牛逼), and 傻屄(傻逼)?How extensively do they use such words?

• Like 1

Kenny, most of these examples seem to be reported speech. It's not the language 新华 reporters are using, they are quoting all the terrible things people have said.

• Like 2

Demonic_Duck, see #53, viz There will always be people who complain about the state of language affairs.... Sometimes you just have to let people hold their stubborn and borderline masturbatory language views while the entire world changes around them.

This to me suggests people shouldn't complain about language changing. You're saying you read it differently?

I read it at face value, i.e. in every era there are people who complain about the decline of language, yet somehow language has survived intact and continues to evolve. It's more strongly worded than I might have put it myself, but I agree with the general sentiment.

On the other hand, 共产中文 is a very specific phenomenon, as is the type of slang described in my first post. Personally, I intensely dislike the former, but find the latter interesting and amusing. I'd say it's largely a matter of taste - I'm sure many people have the opposite reaction, or perhaps like Kenny, hate both. However, it seems like Kenny is now attacking the usage and very existence of slang in general, which is a very broad category of language and has been used (in constantly evolving form) probably almost as long as humans have been using language at all. As such, it's futile and backwards-looking to complain about it (or about the existence of profanity as a general class of words - again, people have been swearing since time immemorial).

If you read carefully enough, you will find that many of them are not quotes.

Edit: Just to be clear, by 'them', I mean all the examples that can be found by following the links I posted in #63.

There is a time and a place for slang, and a time and a place for profanity. Obviously if a journalist uses words that are inappropriate for the tone of the piece, that's unprofessional.

It seems like an awful lot of your posts follow the format [cryptic comment] [unrelated link].

How did these terms such as 十動然拒 get conflated with swear words exactly?

Edit: Also, upon a rather loose inspection of those links... Almost every single one leads to the entertainment section of Xinhua. I certainly wouldn't call celebrity gossip "journalism".

However, it seems like Kenny is now attacking the usage and very existence of slang in general, 

I am sorry if there is any confusion. For the record, I am essentially opposed to 共產中文 and the extensive use of certain internet slang words, including the kind of 'new style chengyus' you posted. I have no problem with most slang words, including expletives. After all, they have their own value in the language.

I am not sure how we've got here but I am not going to re-read the posts. It's tiring.

• Like 1