Chinese-Forums

A Hesitation about the Air Condition

garmongar

Greetings folks,

I am going to study Chinese in China(not for this year but next), and Beijing would be great since the putonghua is everyday language you hear on streets. My hesitation is about the air pollution, I know it's everyone's concern but I have an eye disease called xerophthalmia. So if someone knowlegeable of such kind of stuff can help me I'll be pleased.

Thanks in advance.

I'd say its best to talk to a doctor on that one. The pollution here can be bad at times especially in Winter. People are concerned with their breathing but never seen anyone protecting their eyes. Beijing is not like a smoky kitchen where you might start blinking. The pollution is not that bad! lol

However given you have a eye condition you should probably seek medical advice

Looking at Wikipedia, your condition (according to them) means which the eye fails to produce tears? Please correct me if I misunderstand! You should know that winter in Beijing is very dry, rained only several of times here over 4 / 5 months.  I use eye drops every day, especially in winter. That might be an issue for you. Apartments use air conditioning which causes dryness in the air but many buy a humidifier. My one the go all day in winter as the RH gets to 15% in my apartment

Yeah, as Johnny says you would be bette to talk to your doctor.

BEIJING is dry all year round. I have a few friends who have given up trying to wear contact lenses in China as they irritate their eyes. They can wear them in their home countries without a problem though.

For the pollution, there are bad days but a lot of good days too. Various threads on here already look at pollution in general so have a Google search of the forum.