Chinese-Forums

Multiple Years Studying in China - Renew or Reapply for Visa/Residence Permit?

David Ma

Hi all,

I just finished a full year studying in China on an X1 visa and residence permit. I am lucky enough to be gearing up for a second full year of study but am not sure about how the Visa/Permit situation goes.

Do I need to apply for a new visa and a new residence permit or can I just renew one or both?

I am currently in China in Xiamen. If I do need to apply for a visa, what's the closest place to apply for a new Visa?

Yes. If your current residence permit hasn't expired, then just try to get a one year extension, if possible. Otherwise you have to go through the whole process of getting a visa, having a medical, and then applying for a permit again. A hassle, a waste of time and a waste of money.

I actually applied for a residence permit in Xiamen a few days ago, asked the people at the university what would happen next year, if I would need to apply for a new residence permit, or an extension. They told me I just have to go to the 公安局出入境管理处 at 镇海路 and bring the same documents as this time. If you're studying at 厦大 just go to the Overseas Students Affairs Office and they'll help you out, they're still working, haven't closed for summer. 

If you happen to end up in the situation where you had to apply for a visa again, they told me you have no option but to go to Hong Kong or your own country. Apparently the police bureau in Xiamen doesn't do visa business related to study visas. But you can always try of course.

Oh, wow...that is such a relief. I will head over to the OSA office ASAP and ask about all this. Thank you so much for all the quick replies.

If I extend the Residence Permit, do I still have the ability for multiple entries? The X1 visa is for one year and I'm still a bit confused about what the visa does and what the permit does.

The visa allows you to enter the country (and stay for a certain time - usually 30 days in the case of a study visa). If you are already in the country, you do not need a visa, as you are not entering again.

The residence permit allows you to reside in the country. It also allows you to come and go to and from the country while it is valid. Thus, if you have a valid residence permit, you do not need a visa to get in. However, you can only get a residence permit once in the country, so you will always need a visa for the first entry.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey,

Well, just to follow up... Its been a whole three weeks but I finally submitted my residence permit for renewal this Tuesday.

I shouldn't be surprised by China's red tape at this point but the process ended up being as roundabout as roundabout gets. The major problem was that I was considered a "new student" because I had applied for the CSC scholarship twice instead of just getting one two-year scholarship. So my student number changed and a bunch of other stuff.

The absolutely long and ridiculous path to success:

1) Headed over to the OSAO office on Siming Campus. The original office on the 8th floor had moved to the fifth floor. When I arrived at the fifth floor I find only one person working who couldn't help. Turns out the OSAO office opens only on Fridays on the first floor to help students with Visa issues.

2) Friday comes around and I head back over to the OSAO. I arrive in the afternoon only to find a long line of students. Due to previous appointments, I have to leave early without getting any answers.

3) Next Friday comes around and I head back, this time early in the morning. I ask about renewing the residence permit and I get a nice and easy answer, although the one I was dreading to hear. I get a sheet of paper listing the requirements for submitting a residence permit renewal. I have to go to Xiang'an (1hr+ by bus both ways) to the OEC college and collect a menagerie of documents and stamps and documents with stamps.

4) I wait until next week during a free weekday and hop on the bus early in the morning. I check with other students to see if the OEC is even open during summer and I get mixed answers. So I might be traveling 2 hours by bus both ways to get to a closed office. I finally land at the OEC with fingers crossed and the office is open. The relief... :) Things go really well and the lady working takes care of everything within a few minutes (I even get registered for fall semester early!). After that, I head to the large canteen to scan copies of my passport pages (the copier in the OEC office was broken), take passport photos, and then prepare to head all the way back to Siming.

5) I arrive at the local police station in Siming. I just need an accommodation form and things go smoothly as they can with my limited chinese.

6) I now just have one form left to find on my cross-county scavenger hunt: the mystical proof of study certificate which the OEC lady was completely unaware of. I assumed the OSAO would know. So, I wait until Friday.

7) Friday rolls around and I head over at 10:30am thinking its more than enough time to get one piece of paper which is supposed to be an "automatic printout". Even at 10:30 there is a long line. I wait until 11:30 when they send everyone away and close for lunch, to cut line and quickly ask about the automatic printout. I get pointed to a computer terminal in the corner of the room.

8) No amount of usernames, passwords, or new student ID's let me get a printout. I came back in the afternoon to ask...and once again had to leave early before the line got to me.

9) Week 3: I head back to the OSAO on Monday even though the visa officer won't be there. Asking another worker about the automatic printout for exchange students gets the OSAO officer on the phone and he agrees to come in the next day to help. Apparently the machine doesn't work for exchange students. Suspiciously inaccurate info I was given...

10) Tuesday I am back at the OSAO office exactly at 10am and I just barely get in line before five other people. Apparently I'm wasn't the only one in need of desperate help. He takes all of the five thousand papers I have collected over the last month, prints some more documents out, twenty more red stamps :D, and then finally I am handed a paper-clipped packet to give to the PSB.

11) I arrive at the PSB same day and head to the third floor. After several minutes of chaos, it turns out the third counter is designated for foreigners though there is no sign (in Chinese or English). The officer shuffles through the documents, fiddles with the computer, and I get my final red stamp of approval.

12) I've finally made it out alive with my receipt to pick up in three weeks. Now to sort out a s2 visa for a visiting relative...!

To be continued...

The total list of things needed to get a visa extension are:

1) Recommendation letter from college (OEC)

2) A student book with registration stamp

3) Copies of passport (photo page, residence permit page, entry date stamp page)

4) copy of proof of study certificate (can't get until you have everything else on this list but for some reason is listed as #4, smh)

5) 2 passport sized photos (you only need one but it never hurts to have extras of anything in China!)

6) Accommodation report from the local police station

The Chinese bureaucracy is unlike anything I've ever seen and it's interesting how every time you ask a question, you get deferred to another department/person. Only by being adamant that I had already asked everyone else, would someone take the responsibility of getting to the bottom of my particular issue. It's been a wild ride and the year hasn't even started. But I am thankful for being able to skip having to get a whole nother' visa, health check, etc. Looking forward to another year in Xiamen!

Good luck guys!