Chinese-Forums

Firefox and Perapera Chinese

abcdefg

Follow up: I re-installed Firefox 39, like was suggested early on by Querido. Now life is good; I can deal with the Chinese internet again. Will update Firefox once a new edition of Perapera is released.

Shelley -- There's a link here: (They warn against doing it.)

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/install-older-version-of-firefox?redirectlocale=en-US&redirectslug=Installing+a+previous+version+of+Firefox

Under "Install an older version of Firefox." When you use a similar link from Firefox 40, it takes you to a copy of version 39.

It's working fine for me, after about 24 hours. I also re-dowloaded and installed the Perapera Chinese popup dictionary.

Did one other thing that might also be of use to you. Shelley. I wanted to prevent Firefox from just automatically upgrading itself and creating the same problem again. Found a user forum which explained how to do that.

1. Open the Firefox menu, the three short horizontal bars all the way at the top right of the page.

2. Open the Options menu that looks like a gear.

3. Open the Advanced tab at the bottom of the left sidebar.

4. There you are offered tabs for "General, Data Choice, Network, Update, and Certificates."

5. Choose the Update tab.

6. Select the button that says "Check for updates, but let me chose whether to install them."

7. The one above it which says, "Automatically install updates, but warn me if this will disable any of my add-ons" apparently is not reliable. 

--------------------------

I now continue to get reminder messages that a newer version of Firefox is available. But I can ignore them without any hassle.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Update: perapera have done the fix but as they explain here http://www.perapera.org/ it is not approved yet by Firefox which they say can take a while.

There is a link for the update on that page that you can download at you own risk.

I have done it, I am soooooooooo glad to have it back, I am prepared to try it.

• Like 1