Chinese-Forums

Getting started in China-some early questions

wralive

• New Members

Hello,

I have signed up in this forum because I want to go to China next year and still have some questions. I couldn't find the answers, so I hope you can help.

1. Can I legally teach in China without a college degree? (Some say yes, some say no) And/ Or: Can I get a Z Visa without degree?

2. I want to teach in a public school. If it is up to me, I want to start in March, April or May. Is this possible even though the school year starts usually in late August/ September?

3. If I teach in public school, do I get paird during the summer holidays?

4. When I have started in China: How much money should I have for the first month in China?

5. What is a good salary, if I want to work in a public school in a town of 100,000-500,000 people?

I thank for all your answers in advance.

1) It depends. You might be able to find a school that can bend the rules for you... But it's increasingly difficult. Also, the school may say they can get around it but they actually just forge a degree certificate for you. Another one would be they tell you just to come on an L visa and make promised of a z they never fulfill. Generally, schools in out of the way, unpopular locations might have more of a chance of hiring someone without a degree because it's hard for them to find someone who wants to go there.

2) unless the school couldn't find anyone to hire for the start of term then it's unlikely. If you try to find work out of peak times then you will also reduce the chance of finding a job - especially combined with the fact you don't (I assume) have a degree.

3) depends on the school, some might try give you a 10 or 11 month contract that cuts out summer holiday.

4) again, it depends on if you are getting accommodation provided and which city you live. If it's somewhere cheap and you manage your money, maybe 5000 RMB as a ball park figure without any rent or major things like furniture or bikes.

5) You might find the salary isn't very good if you're aiming for somewhere that small. 6-8000 (but more likely at the 6k end) is probably the range you're looking at. It would be possible to pick up some tutoring though, especially if you're the only guy in town.

• Like 1

2) unless the school couldn't find anyone to hire for the start of term then it's unlikely. If you try to find work out of peak times then you will also reduce the chance of finding a job - especially combined with the fact you don't (I assume) have a degree.

Another possibility is that the previous teacher abandoned the post abruptly. Of course, that fact would throw up questions of its own...

• Like 1