Chinese-Forums

I'm building a Chinese version Urnban Dictionary

ucdictionary

Hi all

I'm building a site called Urban Chinese Dictionary  http://ucdictionary.com. I hope it can grow to be an interesting and useful resource for people that want to learn Chinese. But I know clearly without the help of other people I will never be able to achieve this goal. So any feedback is welcome :)

Thanks

• Like 2

I'm always interested to see new resources for Chinese slang. There's a fair bit already on the existing urbandictionary site, but coverage is patchy at best.

I don't think having Twitter as the only login option is a good choice, as Twitter is blocked in mainland China, and even people outside China and/or with VPNs may not have Twitter accounts.

How will you deal with definitions in Chinese? Are they encouraged or discouraged? If you will allow them, will you provide for filtering by language of definition?

@Demonic_Duck 

Thanks for your reply, the site will mainly focus on Chinese to English. Because the Chinese definitions can be easily found on 百度百科, and I think English definitions are still useful for some people, which is enough for me. 

I will consider to add other login options like LinkIn which is still accessible in China. 

Thanks for your reply, the site will mainly focus on Chinese to English. Because the Chinese definitions can be easily found on 百度百科, and I think English definitions are still useful for some people, which is enough for me.

Fair enough.

I will consider to add other login options like LinkIn which is still accessible in China.

That's still forcing people to create accounts on other sites before they can use yours, and to connect their profiles on those other sites to whatever they post on yours. Why don't you just allow people to login directly?

It would be great if it could have audio for all the words.

Not really feasible for all the words as it's a wiki project. But you could allow people to upload or post links to audio clips.

• 1 year later...