Chinese-Forums

The European Discovery of China: Free online course

Geiko

One of the best universities in Spain is organizing a free online course about Chinese history, seen through the eyes of the first Europeans who visited it. The course begins next 28th of September, it will last eight weeks and students are expected to spend around 6 hours per week. I've already registered, but I'm not sure if I'll have time to finish it.

Anyway, for more information, visit its website

• Like 3

Sounds interesting. Perhaps I can give it a try. Thanks for posting the information.

I have enough time to do the assignments, but my problem with participation from here in Mainland China is the slow download speeds of essential video lectures.

Internet is becoming more and more of an issue, even with VPN.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

After a couple of weeks attending this course, maybe I should write a follow-up. This is my first MOOC, so I can't compare it to other courses, but I'm extremely satisfied with it. Each unit contains several short videos (from 4 to 8 minutes each), which makes it very easy to follow and to distribute according to your free time. Every two or three videos you have to take a short test to see if you've understood everything, and you get explanations on why wrong answers are wrong. The teacher knows what she's talking about, and she transmits her enthusiasm very well. I'm only in week three (out of eight) and I've already ordered two of the recommended books, and I plan to go to my local library to borrow a third one (this one written by herself). Native English speakers will probably notice she's got a heavy accent, but I'm very used to it and it doesn't bother me at all. I'm learning a lot about Chinese history, it's amazing how European-centered were all my history classes back in high school! Even if this course only lasts eight weeks, it's providing so much information, so much supplementary material, that it'll take me several months to absorb everything. I think it's been a fantastic starting point to dig into Chinese history!

• Like 1

I fully agree, Geiko. It's a fantastic MOOC and Professor Folch really knows her stuff (I love the accent too!). The topic itself is fascinating but what makes this MOOC very exciting to me is the fact that it is Chinese history from a non-Anglo-American-centric angle. So far all Chinese history courses I've done were either Anglo-American or Chinese, this course seems to offer a much broader perspective. Another thing that makes this MOOC unusual is the trouble the staff have taken to put together a big collection of references, including much material available for free. Often in this type of courses one doesn't get more than a list of expensive books.

Not all MOOCs are the same, unfortunately, I think this one is a true gem.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

In case anybody is interested, a new edition of this MOOC started today. It seems to have new contents, so I'm going to attend it again, because I loved it the first time and there was too much information to remember it all. :D

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/european-discovery-china

• Like 2

Great, thanks!

I'm very, very busy with Chinese MOOCs that take me a long time to complete, but I signed up for this one again. The first was very enjoyable and there was a lot in it. They've definitely added content, it seems to stretch a bit more towards modern China whereas the first one didn't go beyond the Ming Dynasty.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

In case anybody wants to take this online course and hasn't had the chance to do it yet, the third edition of this MOOC will begin next month. I really think it's well worth, you shouldn't miss it! https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/european-discovery-china?lr=23