Chinese-Forums

Work permit denied due to " collegemajor unrelated to experience", Company now using an agent...

Huina

***UPDATE MANY MONTHS LATER***

After changing jobs and getting a second look at the work permit process, I have since found out that for visa purposes consultants (顾问) can't be hired with a Foreign Expert's Certificate. This is why my work permit was initially declined. They applied for the FEC (most of the foreigners they employ are teachers) but I needed the Alien Work License.

Hey,

So my work permit got denied by the government because apparently my major in college wasn't related to my work experience/the job the company needs me to do. Which, quite frankly, is super BS. Especially because my actual two years' work experience directly relates to the responsibilities of my job (educational consulting, my experience is in HR consulting/workforce development for Chinese Americans and the responsibilities are almost the same)  :help I'd bet cash money that the government doesn't wanna process it because my resume is tl;dr and I'm not teaching. All foreigners do in China is teach English or translate, right?  :wall

The company's now working with an agent to get the visa, but I have to pay a reimbursable processing fee up front. They're a big, NYSE traded company so I'm pretty sure they're good for the reimbursement and I guess they would use a good agent.  How effective are visa agents? I'm applying to work in Beijing and I know the requirements are more strict. Right now I'm working remotely and getting paid, so it's alright... But I really need to be back in China. Currently freaking out. Even though the pay is mad decent and I'm saving money by staying at home, I can't keep working on China time while in the USA, it's like shift work and my sleep schedule is wrecked!

Anyone else have experience with this kind of problem?

I always go through agents.  They do this kind of thing all the time and they (usually) know what they're doing.  They know what the government expects to see on those forms.  If I had to bet, I'd guess there was something that the bureaucrat didn't expect to see and that threw the whole thing off.  Or else there was some basic mistake where the bureaucrat had no choice but to deny the application, like your company didn't define your job properly and it didn't match your resume.  A one-page resume is enough, it's mostly a formality anyway.  Agents cost money but they're well worth it IMO. 

Ugh, I hope their agent can get it done. I wonder what it was. Do you think getting denied once will flag the application for the next attempt? HR said they're expediting it and the agent is picking it up in the morning. I know there's nothing to do but bite my fingernails.

AFAIK, being denied doesn't hurt you and you can try again.  You must, however, check the box that says you have been denied before.  If you don't that constitutes lying on your application and it'll be denied on those grounds.

Thanks vellocet, I hope the agent does his/her best and it ends up ok. I have one idea about what may have caused the bureaucrat in question to reject my application--my old-fashioned University's diplomas are written in Latin in extremely fanciful calligraphy. I had one potential employer freak out and tell me to get another diploma because she "couldn't read it". Eek. Will update when I get more info. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • New Members

That agent will most likely be doing something illegal. If you were denied officially by the State Administration of Foreign Expert Affairs, there is no way. Unless they lie and say your job is something else. Therefore you'll be working illegally. If caught, you'll be banned for 2 years

I don't want to work illegally, I guess I will just drop the job and stay home then, or if I want to go back get TEFL and teach (unless like vellocet said that there may have been some kind of technical error with the application, such as my resume or degree translation [degree is written in Latin] are not clear enough, a box was filled in incorrectly). Thanks for your input. How do you know such information? Information online is obviously very inconsistent and I am not in China to do the application myself. Do you have a website that you go to, or are you a professional?

Update:

I got my Alien Work License and Invitation Letter, which according to the directions on the paper I will take to the consulate and get the Z visa. Yay!

The license has the same job position/title on it as I signed on my contract and as reflected in my job responsibilities. From what I can tell this license (vs. the expert certificate) is given for positions that aren't teaching or in highly specialized fields. This makes sense, because I'm not teaching! Just your average consultant doing consultant stuff. 

I checked over all the stuff and it looks legit: my employer is right, their address is right, my position is right, all my details are right. The certificate is shiny with a big stamp on it and the invitation is not shiny but also has a big stamp. 

Off to the visa office tomorrow. Hope this helps others!

• 3 weeks later...

Update: I'm chillin at my company in Beijing, where, as stated in my Work License (issued to cool cats like me who are not teaching but working in stuff like consulting, HR and management) I am cozy in the management center with a fancy espresso machine. My visa agent is taking me to the PSB tomorrow to do some more stuff related to getting my little booklet and the residence permit.

• Like 1

Yes! I feel pretty cool being in management.I'm not just a consultant, I'm an awesome management consultant. And we have an espresso machine with Lavazza coffee!!! And my coworkers are nice and helping me with Chinese too!

• Like 1

Oh, one more update, check the website for this: http://www.ebeijing.gov.cn/feature_2/WorkingInBeijing/ObtainingAnEmploymentLicense/t1126465.htm

"Provided that the submitted academic degree certificate or the credentials of qualifications are in a foreign language, their Chinese translation bearing the official seal of a professional translation company should be provided" 

The Latin...