Chinese-Forums

Can you suggest an alternative to LingQ

wulfgar

For reasons I won't get into, I'm considering quitting LingQ and using a better tool to help me read. Here are my requirements. 

Must have: Mac compatible. Mouse over/pop-up dictionary with pinyin and english definition.

Nice to have: Free. Memory of the words I know. Color coding of the words I know. Ability to edit/add definitions. Lots of other languages available. A site rather than something to download.

Any suggestions?

• 3 years later...

And also, for learning Chinese, Vocab Splitter seems doing a better job than LWT. It's because LWT can only split single Chinese characters and ignore the meaningful words which may contain multiple characters. Vocab Splitter can split the texts by meaningful Chinese words, which is very similar as LingQ.

6 hours ago, WeiLe said:

Is there a way to delete my wrong post

Not really any need to delete your post, you have clarified your mistake. It can ruin the flow of the thread so its better just to correct yourself in a new post. When you have made 5 posts you can edit posts and then you can fix the error in your post.

On 9/21/2015 at 2:23 PM, wulfgar said:

Must have: Mac compatible. Mouse over/pop-up dictionary with pinyin and english definition.

I developed a program called Chinese Text Analyser     that does this, but it's not free.  There is a free trial though so you can check it out to see if it suits your needs.

I made a bookmarklet that works on any* Chinese web page. It lets you click a word and see the pinyin. Then if you need the definition you can click again. I was tired of having to copy and paste text into a tool.

Check it out at Pinwean.com.  It is designed to gradually wean you off of pinyin.

*If you find a web page where it doesn't work, please let me know in a private message. This is very much beta.

• 2 months later...

Give a try to VocabTrackerIt supports learning Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Russian, Korean, Dutch, Arabic, Ukrainian, Latin and more language are being added and will come soon.

To use the tool, you can install a Chrome plugin, which can let you analyze and highlight words on any web page (including Chinese and Japanese). The following is a screenshot of splitting Chinese text into words on a web page from  wikipedia.org: 

Screenshot3.png.71845242746b6fecc039538ecda2b0cc.png

It can also popup various dictionaries:

Screenshot1.thumb.png.240cf821e27df5ff2adbf0682a404962.png

If you learning material is not from internet(ex: from PDF, Word or TXT files), you can go to https://www.vocabtracker.com to import the text into the tool manually.