Chinese-Forums

How many days to convert a X1 visa into residence permit?

Aphorisme

Hi everyone!

I've been looking on the internet but i found contradictory answers. On some websites it's written 5 days, on others 2 weeks. That's really important fo me, as I will have to come back to my home country like 7-10 days after arriving in China, and I will have to convert my X1 visa into a residence permit prior to coming back to my home country. From your own experience, how many days does it take to obtain a residence permit?

And will I have to provide an "accomodation proof" for obtaining a X1 visa and/ or a residence permit? I won't have much time to find a house during these 7/10 days, so I plan to first stay at a hotel and then, only after coming back from my country, I will try to find a decent house. But I don't know if I can obtain a X1 visa/ a resident permit without having a secure accomodation and just living at an hotel...

Thank you for reading, and have a good day!

P.S: it's another topic, but does someone know if with a X1 visa I can be paid during a 6 months internship, and if I can then do another 6 months internship? It's so unclear...I just know that under a X1 visa, and with the authorization of your university, you can do an internship up to 6 months. But nothing is said about being paid or not, and nothing is said about doing many "up to 6 months internships" either. Do you have any clue about how things work in practice?

As for the residence permit, I expect my renewal to take 3 weeks, due in part to the National day holiday, but I haven't seen anyone's take less than 2 weeks. Plus, the school has to coordinate getting you and your passport to the exit and entry bureau. In my case, this took 2 weeks both this year and last year. 

Is your school not offering you housing? You'll likely need to have this arranged before the residence permit as you must put that information on it. 

Would it be possible to get a tourist visa? Or make arrangements with your school to come about 2 weeks late? 

My university has told me I cannot do anything on my visa that means I get paid, but the international students office of my university does not do anything that would require even the littlest bit of work on their part. (And, in fact, have ignored repeated questions from a variety of international students about acquiring any sort of internships.) In practice, this may be common. 

• Like 2

It can easily take a month. It very much depends though - usually these are handled by the school. The school might take a batch of passports to the PSB every day, or they might wait till the end of the week, or they might have annoyed the PSB last year, so their passports get left till the end. I'd speak to your school but be prepared to do a lot of the running around yourself - eg, the school might arrange for everyone to be bussed to the medical exam on Wednesday, but it might make more sense for you to go yourself on Monday. Similarly, you might save a day or two (and be able to explain your situation to the PSB) if you go there yourself. 

To be honest, it seems a waste to go to China just to fly back home. Best plan I can see is contact the school, explain you'll be arriving late, and then head out there two weeks late or whatever it is. Unless the school has some strong objection.

Students being allowed to do internships is pretty new - I think it's allowed in law, but I don't know if there are any provincial / city regulations governing it yet. 

• Like 2

Thank you for your answers.

I will either arrive earlier in China or ,as you have both suggested, arrive later. But that would make me miss almost 3 weeks of classes. That's quite a lot. I will try to arrive earlier, if my visa allows me. 

Concerning internships, the situation seems to be classical: there is now way to know how rules work before arriving in China. So i will just wait, and then, if needed, I will try to convince the administration that yes it's possible to do paid internships while studying. I hope this is not unrealistic.