Chinese-Forums

HelloChinese – New Chinese Mandarin learning App (learn Chinese & speak Chinese)

Chong

Hi,

I just downloaded the app and have successfully passed all of the testouts.

I think it is too easy to guess and even know which answer is correct in the multiple choice questions using the information without actually knowing all of the vocabulary or understanding all of the sentences or having learned the sentence structures in the past.

I would love to see HSK3 studying as an in app purchase in the future. Study the entire vocabulary of the HSK3 in the same style and format as the app is in already. That would sell like hot cakes I feel.

Thanks,

林振蒲

Hi, 振蒲,

Chinese isn't an easy language to learn, especially for westerners. Many learners give up at the very beginning according to our teaching experience. So we set our goal to make learning Chinese easy ("feel easy", at least) for TOTAL beginners.  We tailored HelloChinese from different aspects and have revised the curriculum for four major versions in order to bring a smooth learning experience. But still many users complained that the lessons were hard and they finally left.  

You passed all of the testouts in a very short period of time, so I think you already have some basic Chinese knowledge and must be a smart guy. While the majority of the users start from the scratch.

As for the content, we planned to cover all the knowledge points of 0~HSK3 and, for completely free. So you can practice HSK 3 without an in-app purchase. Currently only less than 100 words are still missing and I promise we will finally meet the goal. 

Thanks

Chong

• 6 months later...

HelloChinese version 3.0 released for both Android and iOS. A very big update!

Self-adaptive training games (in the "Train" page) were introduced in this release.  You'd feel much FUN and challenging when playing a game and, you will discover many beautiful Chinese elements (中国风) in each game. 

We spent months designing the adaptive algorithm and the content. Playing one game a day can rapidly improve your listening, speaking, reading, writing and character skills. With the personalized training games, you can get fluent much faster. New games will be added gradually. 

We are a really small team, but we will never stop creating NEW and COOL features to make learning Chinese fun and effective!

Below are two screenshots of some of the games. 

g8TjDSBl.png  5zwZsNcl.png
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello,

新年快乐

After having a very busy and happy Christmas and New Year, both of them:wink: I have found some time to try the new games, they are great. I really like seeing the beautiful pictures of chinese pottery.

As usual you have done it beautifully and it looks very attractive.

I am going to update my review on LTL to include the games, probably in a couple of weeks when I finish the review I am working on now.

Thank you once again.

• 3 months later...
HelloChinese released  "Audio Translation" for android users, a new game to train your listening skills!
This game elaborately combines elements from Beijing Opera together with language learning methodologies and helps you build your basic listening skills. 
Here is the screenshot of it.
s4E1qPNl.jpg

We have been working on our newly added innovative learning games and made several new releases on the stores. The upgraded beautiful Chinese style UI design together with Chinese cultural content have been very well-received by users, and finally get recognized by Apple App Store: the HelloChinese app has been featured on the homepage of the App Store globally: U.S., UK, Canada, Australia, Japan, Russia, Singapore, Brazil, Thailand,  Malaysia, etc. 

We will keep going and stick to our statement: make learning Chinese fun and effective.

(below are screenshots of App Store)

exn9p0ml.jpg zsT5PKLl.png

Oh well done to you and the HelloChinese team.

I did finally get the update done to the LTL review. Have had a busy April doing a large project but it means I now have time for more chinese learning.

If i update my app will it automaticity get these new features? I am very keen to try them out.

Thank you for your efforts.

• 6 months later...

Hello everyone, I'd like to share some updates about HelloChinese.

We recently published a podcast brand named HelloChina with the slogan "Modern Chinese for Modern China". The episodes help guide you through the Chinese that's not taught to you in textbooks by talking interesting things that're currently happening in modern China. 

Here is a recently released one as a sample https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a26gjFbLyP8

Each week we release new podcasts on our YouTube channel. You can find all of them here: https://www.youtube.com/hellochineseapp

(The targeted  audience are beginners to intermediate learners.)

Hope you enjoy it :D

• Like 1

On 11/14/2017 at 6:08 AM, Chong said:

(The targeted  audience are beginners to intermediate learners.)

What would you consider intermediate. Would the more advanced videos be beyond the range of those who finished the App's lessons or right at their levels.

• 2 weeks later...

@Lumbering Ox

The podcasts mainly focus on cultural aspects and popular things of today's China.  We occasionally teach some popular words or introduce interesting resources for learning Chinese, but it's not structured, which is different from the content in our app HelloChinese.

So, yes, most of the content in the videos isn't in our app. You can say it's beyond the range of the app's lessons, but to be more exact they just focus on different aspects.