Chinese-Forums

HelloChinese – New Chinese Mandarin learning App (learn Chinese & speak Chinese)

Chong

Hey guys,

HelloChinese new feature released! 

We have added over 1,000 videos into our basic course, and they all feature native Chinese speakers from Beijing, Shanghai, Xi'an, Hangzhou, etc. This will bring you a more fun and engaging learning experience. 

Just update to the latest version on App Store or Play Store, enjoy! :D

There are different video exercises and below is a screenshot of one of them.

https://i.imgur.com/9n3zF8il.png

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

I used the app for a while after I used Duolingo for Spanish ages ago. They are quite similar, but Duoulingo has 2 significant advantages: you can't complete the task if you make many mistakes. In HelloChn, you can keep repeating the same mistake and you eventually pass. Definitely not motivating, it made me lazy after a while. 2. You can almost say anything at times and HelloChn will say it's prefect. Other times I am pretty close, but the app recognizes mistakes I did. Duolingo is much more consistent and reliable in that regard.

It's pretty decent, but there must be better ones. Or am I wrong?

@Hayden05,

The same or a similar question will be presented again if you make a mistake. Currently there is no limit on how many times you can fail on one question.  Duolingo also changed its behavior and follows a similar way nowadays.  I agree with you that there can be way to make it more motivating.  Will look into how to improve it.

Regarding the voice recognition, short voices like a single character can sometimes be easily affected, while technically it's quite consistent for long ones like sentences. 

13 hours ago, Hayden05 said:

In HelloChn, you can keep repeating the same mistake and you eventually pass.

I found it fustrating at times when I would keep failing and failing without being able to figure out why. "Gah I am saying it!"

It was then that I discovered that if you swear at it in English, it passes you ;) at least that one time.

I'd say, a good feature.

@Hayden05

Yes, that's a secret feature , when only one question is left in a learning session and you keep making mistakes over and over again, it will let you pass.  

We made it this way in case a user gets irritated and throws his/her phone away :cry:

@Lumbering Ox

That feature is better than Siri on iPhone :P

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone,

HelloChinese released a brand-new smart review system a few weeks ago, and we saw obvious gains across the board ever since. 

Smart Review System

This review system is SRS based and built on top of the basic course. It tracks your memory strength for each word/character/grammar and reminds you the items you’re just about to forget. Exercises are generated intelligently so you only practice the items that you need to review.

We also added a new review type which we call "Review with Native Speakers". A video is shown in which a native Chinese person speaks a sentence and then you're asked to type out what he/she said. This feature is specailly designed to consolidate your listening and writing skills. 

Below two screenshots show how it looks like.

1672845885_nativespeakervideo.thumb.PNG.afe6f9b4ba91baa0f5a3975914656d8e.PNGtyping.thumb.PNG.efd384539a250a2ce5b8633f9058faca.PNG

Hope the new features are helpful, and suggestions are always welcome! :)

• Like 1

Oh this looks good, I am afraid my learning has been slow lately but it should all change soon, tomorrow I am going to have the cataract in my left eye removed and a new lens so I will be able to see properly and can take up my Chinese studies again.

• Like 3

Thank you everyone for wishing me well, unfortunately it had to be postponed because I am on a course of antibiotics and this is not allowed apparently, so reschedule for sometime in the next 2 weeks.

• 1 year later...

Another BIG update!

We released a brand new course for both iOS and Android! The new course covers 1000+ words and 240+ grammar points up to HSK 4, almost twice that of the old HelloChinese course. 

The team is still working on it. Please stay tuned for more updates, there are plenty of exciting new features on the way!

list.thumb.png.9b13595c53d50edf6b8c774edadaae85.pnghome.thumb.jpg.49d3433b29ffbde7b1ce637f45603ffb.jpg

This is indeed an excellent app.  I have been using it for several months now.   It is one of the three apps I use to learn Chinese---  HelloChinese,  ChineseSkill,  and Duolingo.

My favorite feature is the short speaking videos featuring native Chinese speakers,  wonderful!