Chinese-Forums

Anyone Taken the HSK Advanced

roddy

• 1 month later...

So who's all planning to take the Advanced HSK at the next sitting? The 'old' version is on April 26, the 'new' one May 24.

I'm kind of bored of the idea of HSK exams myself, but I'll probably end up taking at least one of them. I've been doing quite well at motivating myself without an exam hanging over me though, and I doubt I'll do much targeted preparation - maybe a bit of writing practice, and a mock paper or two if I do the new version.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, online registration for the April Advanced Ye Olde HSK is now open according to this schedule. Personally I'm just going to spend an hour or two making the trip to the local test center when they are taking real-world registrations, I suspect it'll be quicker.

Occurs to me that the advanced HSKs are really quite badly timed. Assuming the majority of people taking them in China are studying here, they fit in really badly with semester schedules - surely it would make sense to have them just prior to the end of semesters. Wouldn't be any hassle for universities to schedule their own exams round that, and then you can do a full semester and take your exam at the end.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still up for taking the old version of HSK advanced but maybe not till 2009 since I'm in the States right now. I just want to make sure I'm prepping for a test that still exists. Any word on how long the old version will be around?

Also, regarding the new version, are there prep materials published? Would love to know abt available resources and where I can get them. Thanks!!

I just want to make sure I'm prepping for a test that still exists. Any word on how long the old version will be around?

It’s said:

In 2008, 双轨制,both exist.

In 2009, which one will die? Not fixed.

Also, regarding the new version, are there prep materials published?

Sample Test Paper of the Chinese Proficiency Test (HSK Revised) + 2 MP3:

http://www.studychineseculture.com/book.asp?id=4543

Well, online registration for the April Advanced Ye Olde HSK is now open according to this schedule. Personally I'm just going to spend an hour or two making the trip to the local test center when they are taking real-world registrations, I suspect it'll be quicker.

In-person registration is now open. I'm in two minds at the moment as to whether I want to bother again or not. On one hand I feel like the last few months I've been fairly disciplined and don't need to the exam to spur me on so much, on the other I wouldn't mind finding out if that discipline has actually made any difference.

That said, I think it's maybe the registration process that's putting me off. Go across town, distract those poor women from their tea-drinking, listen to explanations about why they can't give me any documentary evidence of having given them hundreds of yuan, be told to turn up the day before the exam to collect my 参考证 before telling them that no, that's ridiculous, I'll turn up fifteen minutes in advance and collect it here, thank you very much. All very dull.

Roddy, since you are 'in two minds' at the momont, I'm gonna have to apply some Chinese forums peer pressure on you so you don't back out now! You don't necessarily need to post your grade, but you should at least take the exam to see the result of all your hard work....besides we still don't have a forum member with an 11, right:mrgreen:

After quite a bit of umming and ahhing, I've decided I'm not going to take is this time round. I'd need to cram in too much character / writing practice through April to make it worth while I think, and there are other things I'd rather be doing.

• 2 weeks later...

An 11 is cetainly doable, i was only a few points of the A-line on my first (and probably only go), athough I wouldn't have got it even if I had got a few more points, due to the fact that I flamingoed-up the reading section with a mere 50 odd points. I would take it again but I find that reading section a little offensive, I mean, you barely even have the time to skim read, never mind getting an idea of what those passages are about. It's too easy to mess up.