Chinese-Forums

Recipe for Gai Don Go

sparklyme

• New Members

Hi all,

I have a friend who's birthday is coming up, and my friends and I are going to make her a "gai don go" Chinese cake. She recently moved here from China about a year ago, where she lived her whole life. This is her favorite type of cake, so that's what we want to make her. We to make it as similar to how they make it in China as possible. She is also feeling homesick and this will help.

Thanks all! I would appreciate an answer as soon as possible, for her birthday is coming up.

Chinese Sponge Cake (Gai Don Go)

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups cake flour, sifted

9 eggs, separated

1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup water

1/4 cup vegetable oil

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Method:

Beat egg whites until slightly foamy. Add 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar. Beat again until stiff.

Sift together flour, baking powder and sugar. Add to egg yolks; add water, oil and vanilla extract and beat until creamy. Pour the mixture over egg whites gently and fold until well-blended.

If using a 9 x 13-inch pan, bake at 350 degrees F for about 20 minutes. If using a tube pan, bake 35-40 minutes, inverting tube pan upside down while cooling.

Serve with fruit topping and whipped cream.

PLEASE NOTE: this was lifted from the first result I got from google.

There may be better or different versions, why not try searching some more, it seemed to have a lot of results.

• Like 1