Chinese-Forums

Preserving Word Order.....

Shelley

I also would prefer to think of 两点 as "couple/two dots/ticks" for similar reasons. I do not know the origin of the Chinese use of 点 in this case, but I have a mental image of a reference to the ticks on a clock face.

In spanish we said also "dos en punto" (two in-dot) :)  

We said also "Juan es puntual"  when Juan(John) arrives punctuality to some appointment.

BTW:  we said also something is "puntual" (punctual) when is very-well-localized (in time or space), so 点击 (click for punctual-hit) has a lot of sense for spanish-speakers (I don't know, in this case, for english-speakers if it's the same).  Same concept apply to "dos en punto" because the click arrows are in a very precise position.

EDIT: I see li3wei1 posted before the same idea

The grammar of Chinese is all about the rules of function word & word order. That is, if one changes the word order, he/she changes(or rather, ignores) the Chinese grammar; and if one use an English word that's not a perfect counterpart of the Chinese function word, he/she changes(ignores) Chinese grammar as well.

There's a dilemma between the meaning and the form.